Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work...and little one is having trouble with a bottle...

Default Going back to work...and little one is having trouble with a bottle...

I have to go back to work in Jan (2nd) and my little O is having a lot of difficulty with the bottle. She is refusing to take it. She has only had the breast, no pacifer or bottle until the other day. I am happy about that but I think it has also hindered me. I am already nervous about going back to work and this is not making it any easier. Does anyone have any ideas about getting her to be okay with the bottle? I wish I could stay home but I am a teacher and need to work atleast until June....HELP!!!

Little O's mom

Default Re: Going back to work...and little one is having trouble with a bottle...

I'm in the same situation. I'm a teacher and going back in January. I'm so stressing about this because I'm having trouble finding time to pump because she feeds every hour except at night. And when I do pump I"m only getting 2 ounces. I want to stock up for January. I have no idea how pumping will go at work due to meetings, conferences, etc.
    And heating up the milk before she cries is alot of work. Once she's hungry/upset she won't take the bottle.
    She did take it twice, but I haven't attempted it again not until tomorrow Friday 12/8. Let's see how it goes. I pumped today and I'll give her yesterdays milk so that I can pump again in the morning.
    You should see how many bottles and nipples I've purchased in anticipation of her rejecting certain nipples. S
    She did take a nipple I bought from the Lactation Center at Kaiser hospital. It's suppose to avoid nipple confusion. I'll give you the name once my order arrives.
    On the positive side my school is year round so I work up until the end of April and go on track vacation again.

Default Re: Going back to work...and little one is having trouble with a bottle...

I'm in the same situation. I'm a teacher and going back in January. I'm so stressing about this because I'm having trouble finding time to pump because she feeds every hour except at night. And when I do pump I"m only getting 2 ounces. I want to stock up for January. I have no idea how pumping will go at work due to meetings, conferences, etc. ( I teach 1st grade, very needy)
    And heating up the milk before she cries is alot of work. Once she's hungry/upset she won't take the bottle.
    She did take it twice, but I haven't attempted it again not until tomorrow Friday 12/8. Let's see how it goes. I pumped today and I'll give her yesterdays milk so that I can pump again in the morning.
    You should see how many bottles and nipples I've purchased in anticipation of her rejecting certain nipples. S
    She did take a nipple I bought from the Lactation Center at Kaiser hospital. It's suppose to avoid nipple confusion. I'll give you the name once my order arrives.
    On the positive side my school is year round so I work up until the end of April and go on track vacation again.

Smile Re: Going back to work...and little one is having trouble with a bottle...

Hello. I am sorry you are both having difficulties. I understand your fears as I return to work in Jan too. My LO has been on both the breast and bottle (EBM) since early on b/c she would not nurse and lost a lot of weight.

I would reccomend only buying one bottle of a specific brand until you see what your LO likes. She may hate the bottle you like and then you are stuck with extra bottles you can not use not to mention the $$ you spent on them.

We have tried Avent, then the Breastflow bottle by First Years, then Dr. Brown's. My LO refuses the Avent from both my husband and I. She will only take the Dr. Brown's from my husband and will only take the Breastflow bottles from me. We are guessing the difference is b/c the Breastflow is more like a breast and I nurse her so it is all she will take from me but I do not use a bottle that often these days now that she is finally nursing!!

Play around and try different types. Also, it may be a "mommy" issue. Try having someone else feed the bottle and you may have more luck. After all, if you are there why would she want the bottle when she can go to the source!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Ideally you should have started training some time before but never mind, you can try gradually instead of at once. Hope it works

My DS never really got the hang of a bottle--we gave up trying at 4 months. However, when he DID take a bottle, he liked the EBM VERY warm, warmer than body temp. I have also heard this from some other moms. We used the Playtex premium bottles.

Maybe that'll help.....

Lisa

Ideally you should have started training some time before but never mind, you can try gradually instead of at once. Hope it works
    Alot of people don't know that. I thought all babies drank from bottles. I had no idea a baby would refuse a bottle.

And I wanted to add that my DD initially took a bottle and later refused, so early training really has nothing to do with it.

I too have a dd that won't take a bottle. Keep trying with the bottles. I have given up on that and she is now old enough that I working on her taking a sippy cup. She hasn't figured that out yet. We have used a dropper and a syringe(the types used for medicine). They work well. I suggest working with the child care provider on how to use that method beforehand as a back up plan.

I will say my DD started refusing the bottle around 3 months and then when she was about 5 months and understood more what it was, she started again. Now she won't again. So there is hope. Keep trying. I had the best luck with Playtex nurser system.

I worked last year as a sub and had a teacher friend that pumped at school. It's doable. You may have to be determined to make it work, but it can work.
    Best wishes. I know it's stressful.
    Last edited by Mia'sMom; December 8th, 2006 at 02:48 PM.

Thank for all the hints. I am going to try a different nipple over the next few attempts. I am NOW painfully aware that I should have started earlier, but was so enjoying the breast feeding and bonding that I lost sight of possibility she would refuse the bottle.
    My mom stops over and she atempts the feedings. Next Iwill try to leave her at my mother's house and be out of the house. We will see....any other advice is greatly appreciated.