Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged Montgomery Glands vs Milk Bleb

Exclamation Clogged Montgomery Glands vs Milk Bleb

Hey all...
    So a few weeks ago I started experiencing pain when my 10 month old would nurse on my right side. Before long I realized there was a small bump on my areola, next to my nipple- this is what was causing my pain. I mean excruciating, toe curling, tears in your eyes pain! I did a little research and concluded I must have a clogged Montgomery gland. Over the next few days I pumped and did warm compresses and it seemed to help, the bump came to a "head". Not sure what to do, I gently picked at it and, like a pimple, some stuff came out. It immediately felt better. I went back to nursing but it hasn't completely went away and is now painful again. Not only that but I am now getting one on my other breast!!

The lactation consultant I called was trying to tell me it's a milk bleb and how to go about treatment for that. Now I'm more confused and at my wits end. Is it a milk bleb or are they clogged Montgomery glands?? And how can I get them to heal? Exclusively pumping would be hard, as my little one gets out way more milk than pumping. Help!!!

Default Re: Clogged Montgomery Glands vs Milk Bleb

Based on the information provided, it's impossible to say what this is. On the one hand, since it's on the areola it's more likely to be a clogged Montgomery gland, since those are on the areola and blebs generally occur on the nipple. But on the other hand, we just can't tell without seeing it!

When you picked at the spot, what came out? And have you been using any sort of cream or antimocrobial agent on the area?

When I picked at it, some white came out...just like what happens if you pop a white head or pimple on your face. I have not put any cream, lotion, or lanolin on my breasts as I thought this may clog it further. As for what it looks like- it literally is a pea sized red bump...that's it. Except for when it came to a "head"- as in it had a white head to it. The pain has since gone down. Still very sore but not as excruciating...I have just left them alone and sort of taken a "nursing vacation"- let him nurse a ton even though it hurts.

That sounds like a clogged Montgomery gland or maybe even just a nasty pimple. Maybe a little antibacterial ointment on the spot after nursing would help?

Ok, I'll try that. It's hard to believe it's a pimple since the same thing started happening on the other side.

That definitely made me stop and think, too! I do wonder if perhaps some nasty bacteria got transferred from one breast to the other, though... And that's what made me suggest the antibacterial ointment. I think the best thing you can say for that idea is that it can't hurt and might help.

I too had some similar experience. But the bump was on edge of areola and skin. It did not hurt, and I ignored it for a week and day before yesterday when I was in hot shower, out of curiosity I gently pinched it, the tip of it burst and off white paste oozed out.

I figured, normally I do get small white pimples on skin between my breast when weather is warmer and am Pre- menstural. Mostly they r clogged sebasious gland, which unclog when I shower n exfoliaye , rarely get infected or hurt.

I would suggest to put some antibiotic cream on spot and in case if u feel its spreading, disinfect your bras, camisole etc as a precaution.