Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poorly Producing!! I have tried everything

Default Re: Poorly Producing!! I have tried everything

Okay, I would definitely want to wake her up and nurse her during that 7 hour stretch. It's going to be good for supply, and may mean less pressure on you to fill the daycare bottles- more calories at night can mean less need for them during the day.

Sleeping in close proximity to your baby often translates into increased night-nursing, and also- usually- to easier nighttime baby care. So, how familiar are you with co-sleeping and safe co-sleeping? Do you happen to have a co-sleeping crib? That can be a great way to balance safety with close proximity.

Another thing I would want to do is to nurse the baby as much as humanly possible between 5 pm and bedtime. Again, the more you nurse, the better your supply will be.

In terms of the scale, an electronic home scale is typically not an adequate substitute for the digital baby scale. You are looking for serious precision!

We have a co-sleeping crib. I was looking in to bed sharing and a bed sharing nest. She seems to like our bed much more than her own. With nursing I usually nurse and that pump to fully empty my breasts. Feeding from the breast can get tricky because she suckles and does not swallow and also fall asleep. The switch nursing works ok but she gets so frustrated when switching. Then after the third switch as soon as I get her on there she suckles 3 times and falls asleep.

I can definitely understand your frustration. It seems like you are describing that your daughter does not latch and suckle the breast effectively. I have heard that sometimes switching the order of supplement first and then finish off with breastfeeding can be helpful. Sometimes getting a boost of calories into the baby gives them just the right push to strengthen their ability to latch/suckle.
    Started my family in 1986
    Finally done in 2001

I feel as if I am failing at doing the womanly thing.

This proclamation played in my head all night. I am responding to this in my capacity as "village Elder"
    You are certainly not a failure at doing the womanly thing. Our number one job is to feed the baby...by any means necessary. Through out human history mothers have clung and cooperated with each other because breastmilk production had been a shared resource. We historically formed alliances with sisters, cousins, wives and other tribal women to assist in infant/baby feeding.
    Perhaps in another place and time you would have bartered with another mother for her breastmilk and in return you would have indebted yourself . Nowadays we have reliable breastmilk alternatives and we use money as our bartering chip.
    I am trying to alleviate any notion of "failure" in your self identity.
    Breastmilk production is not always a "one woman show". Human history is replete with stories and anecdotes of perseverance and ingenuity to out smart physical glitches.
    Started my family in 1986
    Finally done in 2001

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have started to make more since. I think now with some support I am feeling less stressed and frustrated.

Update! I am producing better now. I got a hospital grade pump and it has truly helped.