Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I went to formula during the day and now I'm regretting it.

Default I went to formula during the day and now I'm regretting it.

I am a SAHM with a 7 week old baby. I have three older kids who are in activities that I'm always driving them to. It was becoming very stressful for me to sit and nurse every two hours, so I decided to go to formula during the day. I have been nursing once in the evening, about once in the middle of the night and once in the morning. Now it seems like my milk supply is going down and she needs a bottle after the evening feeding and the morning feeding. I'm also regretting the decision to formula feed during the day. It's been about two weeks. Is it possible to get my milk supply back up? It seems like I hardly have any milk right now. If it's possible how long would it take? She's been drinking a lot of formula during the day, like maybe 24 ounces and she's 7 weeks old.

Default Re: I went to formula during the day and now I'm regretting it.

Do you have a pump? I would recommend bfing her each time she takes a bottle first, then offering the bottle and pumping. So breastfeed, give the bottle, pump. If you get a hands free device you could probably pump while you give the bottle. Also there might be some herbal drinks, etc. that would help. I haven't dealt with any of those but a lot of people have. Remember supply meets demand and you haven't dried up completely so just get her to the breasts as often as you can. Catch her when she's tired and bring her to bed with you so she can nurse more at night.
    Also you might consider joining a LLL group and contacting a leader for help. It is possible to get your supply back. I don't know how long it will take. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask any question you need to.

Pumping is a great way to help you while you let your baby start determining your supply again. For an herbal remedy, take Fenugreek. I've heard of people taking it as 2 pills, taken 3 times a day. I stayed at twice a day. Also, drink LOTS of water, avoid caffeine, and eat anything with oats in it (not just instant oatmeal). I'm a WAHM, and I pump twice during the day at work... before my first pumping, I eat an oatmeal breakfast square and before my afternoon pumping, I eat two oatmeal/granola bars. It helps, too. Good luck and good job on wanting to get away from formula. HTH!

weaning off formula should be done slowly. reduce the ammount you are giving baby slowly over a few days while you work to increase your milk supply
    heres a good link
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
    anybody there to help with the older kids? Its ok to drop some things for a few weeks! Having a newborn is stressfull, and then add older kids and its all most like a zoo sometimes. Running them around is almost always not worth it!
    I agree with the pp... call your local leader she can help you get rid of the bottles.

Certainly it can be done! Start offering her the breast for every feeding, BEFORE the supplement. You should be able to gradually phase out the formula as your milk supply increases. It may help to pump some between feedings too. The best way to increase milk is to keep removing it regularly from the breast. I see Andrea already gave you the link on increasing supply. Here are some articles to get you on your way:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/relactation.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mixing.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

I'm going to move your question to Increasing Your Milk so you can get the individual answers you need!

Good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I've been doing it with my 9 week old, so it can be done. My advice is to wean slowly, keeping good track of wet diapers. If you wean too fast, the baby may not gain weight or might start to lose. I drop an ounce or two off one bottle (just one bottle in a day, not every bottle), every 2-3 days. The baby will seem to nurse more often, but she's just making up for what she's not getting in formula. That, in turn, will help your supply. Also, if you can pump and give her the EBM, you can wean off that quicker, since you're already producing the milk. Be prepared to nurse...a lot. Every time the baby seems she might have the smallest wish to suck on something, try to nurse.

My biggest advice is don't get in too big of a hurry. And, if it seems like you're not getting enough wet diapers, don't hesitate to add another ounce or two back in until your supply catches up. But, don't give up either. I was giving 18 oz of formula at one point. Now we're down to 6, working on 4. It really can work.

Your baby is at the breast, so you can do it. Just nurse during the day instead of the bottle as much as possible. If needed, you can supplement afterwards. Just make sure that the milk baby gets is from a slow flow bottle nipple such as Dr. Browns or use a SNS tube at the breast after feeding. If you use the SNS tube, make sure you nurse with the breast first and then slip in the tube. Never follow Madela's directions of using it through the whole feed. Otherwise, you risk your baby getting hooked on it like mine did. It shouldn't take that much time for your supply to get up. You have it really good that your baby is so young and is still sucking at the breast. I would really get a move on this though. The older the baby gets, the harder it is to change things. I would also pump with a hospital grade pump after each feed. That will tell the breast to make more milk. Best of everything. You can do it!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

I'm on day three of trying to get my milk supply back up. I just started taking fenugreek yesterday and I drank some Mother's milk tea last night. It was hard to get down, cause it tasted a bit nasty.

I've been pumping too after i give her a bottle (I nurse, then give bottle, then pump). When I pump, though, I get nothing more than a few drops. I'm not sure if the pumping is accomplishing much. Do those few drops still help increase supply?