Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful

Default Painful

My son is 10 months old and I have never previously experienced pain when feeding him. He nurses in the morning and evenings and I pump once a day. However duringvthe last few days the nipple on my left breast has become red and sore. My son feeds primarily from this breast. the nipple is painful to the touch and stings when my son feeds or when I pump. It stays painful for a few minutes after as well. There is also a spot that is swollen right next to the nipple that is painful. I might mention also that my son has 4 teeth. My breast was sensitive when the teeth came out but never this painful. At first I thougt might be as a result of his teeth grazing me but the pain is increasing. What could it be and what should I do?

Default Re: Painful

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making it to 10 months of nursing!

What you describe sounds like some sort of infection. I'm thinking either thrush or bacteria, with bacterial infection being more likely because you have that swollen spot. Here's what I suggest doing:
    - Do warm and cool compresses to help with the pain- use whichever feels better in the moment
    - Soak the breast in warm water to help move things along
    - Vary your nursing position- this will prevent baby's new teeth from always irritating the same spot and will help ensure all areas of the breast get drained well
    - Try all-fours nursing- that is, baby on his back, you dangling the affected breast into his mouth from above- this will help ensure maximum drainage by giving the baby a gravity assist
    - Combine nursing or pumping with massage
    - If you have an electric toothbrush or other vibrating mechanical device, hold that against the affected area and see if vibration will help bust up any internal plugs
    - Use a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment on the nipple to combat inflammation and infection. Use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied with a clean finger
    - Have baby nurse on the effected side as much as possible, and offer it at the beginning of feedings, since babies nurse more eagerly at the beginning of feedings

Finally, I want you to stay very alert for symptoms of mastitis, which include:
    - deep breast pain
    - redness, or red streaks in the skin of the breast
    - fever
    - flu-like feelings- chills, whole body aches
    If you have any of these, particularly the fever, it's time to see the doctor for some antibiotics.