Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerned about blister in infants mouth

Default Concerned about blister in infants mouth

My little daughter is 6 weeks old and a few days ago my husband noticed a blister like area in her mouth on the inside of her lip/cheek. I didn't notice it until today when she was crying. She also has a smaller one on the other side.

It looks like a fluid filled blister and I feel as if that is the source of her poor latching lately. I can't seem to get a good latch as the past week all I hear is clicking when she swallows. I don't know what caused it, but I'm afraid breast feeding has. Is this normal? I am calling pediatrics tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I should continue to breast feed or pump it into a bottle. She is gaining weight, and doesn't seem upset when eating, but for the life of me.she won't latch like she did before

Default Re: Concerned about blister in infants mouth

I would say that this is probably normal, but it's a good idea to have it looked at by the pediatrician. It is almost surely not caused by breastfeeding, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by feeding itself- that's, I would expect that this would happen with a bottle, too. When babies first start using their mouths, it's pretty common for them to get nursing blisters on their lips. These are loose, transparent blisters that form as the baby's mouth toughens up. My guess is that your baby simply has one inside her mouth- but this could be something else, so again, go see the doctor.

Now, on to the baby's latch! First, how does it feel? A lot of moms get really worried about how their baby's latch looks, but what really matters is how it feels. A pain-free latch is a good latch, as long as there is plenty of wet/poopy diaper output to go with it. Second, does the clicking happen all the time, or does it happen only at certain times during the feeding. Perhaps during letdowns?