Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing strike? teething?

Default nursing strike? teething?

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I am having trouble nursing my 6 month old. He is refusing to nurse at all during the day, and will only nurse in his sleep at night. He cues to nurse as usual, but when I try to feed him he just bites my nipple, arches his back and cries. Then I rock him to sleep. When he wakes he is happy, he just won't nurse. He will drink formula in a sippy cup and eat solid food. I introduced the formula about a month ago for convenience, becaue he became too distracted to nurse anywhere but a quiet room. He has 2 to 3 ounces a day. He won't take a bottle, just a sippy in his highchair when eating. He has always refused bottles of expressed breastmilk. He does use a pacifier, always has.

He started biting when latching on a few days ago, I tried telling him no and putting him down, as this worked very well with my first son. But it did not help, it just became worse.

He has always been a bit of a fussy nurser. We struggled in the first month with fast letdown, he still chokes sometimes and has never really nursed for comfort. Just 5 minutes and he is done.
    Never had any nipple pain until now and his weight gain is great.

He just got his first 2 teeth this week, and they are sharp!
    Help, he hasn't nursed at all today, and I am starting to worry.

Default Re: nursing strike? teething?

Have you read the kellymom article on biting? Is baby possibly ill? Were things any better today?

Default Re: nursing strike? teething?

No he's not ill, thanks for your reply though. It has sorted itself out. Seems he just needed to re-learn how to nurse with teeth.