Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Antibiotics and Nursing

Default Antibiotics and Nursing

I am trying to figure out if I can take antibiotics for an infection (staph in my armpit) and keep nursing without pumping and dumping.

Basically, I got an abscess in my auxiliary gland that got infected. I had to have an I&D and then have it packed. I was put on Keflex, only took for about 48hrs and had to be put on something stronger because the infection rapidly spread down to my elbow (it was all red, hot and inflamed).

Now, I am on Bactrim and Minocin. I found a few things where it stated I could take Bactrim and still nurse. But not the minocin. I started the Bactrim this morning, but not the minocin yet.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation and possibly knows if this will be okay? I can't stop nursing for 7 days. I only have enough milk for a weeks worth of 4 bottles a day, which is for when he's at daycare. I need help finding out what I can do as the doctors in this area are not very pro-BF. I have to find a way to become well and avoid a 7 day stall on nursing my baby, who is 3 months mind you.

Please advise!

Default Re: Antibiotics and Nursing

Would this help? Sounds OK to me for short term use. http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2

Also you can try contacting these folks but not until Monday. www.infantrisk.com But maybe you can find a local LLL Leader or IBCLC who has the most recent edition of Medications and Mothers Milk and they can read you the info from that. I imagine the information will not differ substantially from the toxnet entry.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; January 1st, 2016 at 05:49 PM.