Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I replace a nursing?

Default How do I replace a nursing?

So ds will be a year soon! I've decided that at that point I'm ready to cut out one of his nursings and repalce it with cow's milk. I'm not sure how to go about it because I nurse him before naps. Sometimes he falls asleep nursing and sometimes not, but I had hoped to start giving him cow's milk with his meals instead of before naps.

Any suggestions on how to alter the nap routine to replace nursing?

Default Re: How do I replace a nursing?

I have always replaced other feeds besides naps and bedtime they are always the last to go. My dd gave up naps before she gave up nursing to sleep. Now she only nurses to go to bed at night and 1st thing in the morning.

I agree with the PP....for us, the before nap/bed nursing sessions were the last to go. When we did stop nursing at that time, we just had another routine. For naptime, I just put him in his crib after lunch, so I knew he had a full belly. For the other sessions, I replaced them with a healthy snack & water or milk.

Lisa

Well, DS is 10 months. He's already down to only four nursings a day. One is very very early in the morning when he wakes up, one before morning nap, one before afternoon nap and one before bed. I was thinking of dropping the one before the afternoon nap and when he drops the morning nap, that nursing would go on its own. Then I figure eventually, he would loose the other two on his own. I'm in no rush, but I'm definately ready to loose one and give myself a little more freedom.

pipsmom, my 1yo ds follows the same pattern as yours! and i'm also thinking of dropping the afternoon nursing... i do understand from reading books that eventually at about 15 months onwards, bb start consolidating their naps towards noon. but that's like sometime down the road and i actually want to cut down i/o to get pg!!!

i spoke to a nurse at ABBOTT LABORATORIES which manufacture SIMILAC, GAIN and PEDIASURE and she says i could maybe give milk/cereal with breakfast or sth. i gave DS some cow's milk yesterday in a sippy cup (becos he hasn't taken a bottle in almost a year!) and he didn't quite like it!

i'm also wondering how to go about dropping nursing in the day?? anyone can help us with suggestions? esp for a bb who hasn't used a bottle, who seems to dislike cow's milk, and who nurses to nap??!!

My DS never took to a bottle, either. We stopped trying at 4 months. We introduced a sippy around 7 months, and he didn't really use it for about 6 weeks or so. It would sit there, and he'd throw it on the floor. Eventually, though, after trying different brands of sippys, he got the hang of it, and started drinking out of it. We put watered-down juice in it to start.

We started putting small amounts of cow's milk in the sippy around 11 months of age. He didn't like the taste, either (never liked EBM, either), but he'd drink very small amounts, like less than an ounce. He never drank more than about 4 ounces a day until he was completely weaned at 13-1/2 months. Now, he drinks milk with meals.

My point is that it takes a long time to transition. It takes time to figure out the sippy cups, and then more time to acquire a taste for cow's milk. The trick to the sippy is to first put something in there that your child will LIKE, so that they get the hang of drinking out of it. Then, try something new, and don't force. Maybe your LO will never like milk--that's a possibility, too.

As for nursing to sleep, I was guilty as charged....my DS ALWAYS nursed to sleep. Changing that routine seemed like it would be more difficult than it was for us. I just started changing that slowly--started by putting DS in his crib when he was tired, and saw how it went. I'm not against some CIO, though, so I heard a little crying. However, I never let him cry for very long. We tried everything--rocking, singing, etc. Whatever worked to get him calm enough to go to sleep. I also delayed naps as long as possible, but not too long as to miss the window of opportunity. We have a CD player in our son's room, too, which helps. My son is also very attached to his blankie, and as soon as he sees it now, he knows it's bedtime. I hope something here helps.......Ask if you need some clarification!

Lisa
    Last edited by ljgrile; December 8th, 2006 at 08:22 AM.

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBweaning.html
    you might want to check out some of the links on that page there are a bunch of stories from new begingings.

My kids never liked cows milk very much either. You could try warming it.
    Some kids like warm milk. If they are eating cheese and yoghart they realy don't need bottles of milk. Or formula if they are over a year old.
    Trading a bottle of cow milk to put them to sleep seams sort of silly if you can keep on nursing.
    here's a realy good link

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/weantoddler.html

I don't like cow's milk myself, so I'm a bit worried about that. But he loves yougurt and cheese. I'm even considering mixing the milk with a little cream when I first give it to him.

We use a CD for naps now and I leave a bear in his crib for every nap and bedtime hoping he'll start to see it as a comfort object.

He doesn't always fall asleep nursing - sometimes he finishes and then I leave him in the crib awake. He gradually got better at going to sleep on his own. But nursing definately calms him, so he may have to relearn how to nap without nursiung first. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

Hi, my DD is 15 mos. old and she hasn't taken a morning nap for several months, so your LO might be phasing out of that soon also. It took a while for my LO to drink much cow's milk at all, but now she is drinking a few ounces each day (of whole milk, of course). It seems like organic might taste a little better(?).
    I work FT and my DD only BFs when I am home, so she goes down for her afternoon nap without nursing. It's right after lunch so she's pretty full, and he reads her a story, rocks her, etc. He used to have to stay in her room with her to keep her from getting upset, but lately she's been going down without a fuss. Having read some of your earlier posts, I know you know this, but I think a couple of good practices are (1) putting a child down for a nap when they are tired but not overtired and (2) having a pretty consistent routine.
    When he'll go down for a nap without nursing, then you can cut out that feeding.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    Having read some of your earlier posts, I know you know this, but I think a couple of good practices are (1) putting a child down for a nap when they are tired but not overtired and (2) having a pretty consistent routine.
    I sure do! My son is not the flexible kind! He really gets out of whack for days when his routine is upset just a little. It took a while for him to recover from Thanksgiving and he's a miserable wreck if I even hint at keeping him up late. After working for so long to achieve a successful nap routine, I'm worried about how he'll handle the changes. But, he is already occasionally to much in a hurry to sit for a full nursing, so maybe it won't be as hard as I think.