Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old constipated

Default 8 month old constipated

I'm questioning feeding my DD solids!!! I am seriously wanting to strictly nurse!!! Both of my older children were put on formula early on (5 weeks and 7 weeks) and had constipation issues! Now my 8 month old is having problems since she started eating solids pretty regular! I make sure to feed her something with a dark fruit in it at least to help ward off constipation from the lighter foods!! It's just not cutting it!! she has been cranky all day today, not wanting to eat food and really barely nursing!! She would nurse for a little bit and either just pull off or fall asleep! She would not stay asleep though!! HELP!!!! Would I be wrong to stop solids and just go back to strict nursing til she was a year old?? Or should I just put her in some type of medicine to help her go??

Default Re: 8 month old constipated

Hi I know this is frustrating. We went though constipation with my oldest and it is no fun!

If baby is getting constipated from solids, here is what I would suggest.
    First, if baby is already constipated and is straining, uncomfortable and cannot go without pain, talk to doctor about ways to help baby go. Some would suggest a glycerin suppository, others suggest taking babies temp or otherwise stimulating the rectum, some might suggest a warm bath. If baby is already blocked, you want to take care of that quickly some way, but with as little medication or intervention as possible.
    Then, to prevent incidences of constipation in the future:
    Perhaps, reduce solids, probably no need to eliminate them entirely.
    Increase nursing
    Increase offered water
    Give solids baby can safely pick up, bite and chew themselves, rather than those that are spoon fed into baby. This may help reduce the total amount of solid food into baby while letting baby happily learn to eat. To learn more about this research "Baby led Weaning" or Baby Led Solids"

I am not sure what this means:
    sure to feed her something with a dark fruit in it at least to help ward off constipation from the lighter foods!!
    It is true some foods tend to be constipating, and others may help baby go. I would not say all "light foods" are constipating, though. For example, pears are suggested to help with constipation, and they are pretty light. If you are offering baby a helpful food like pears, I think you want to offer just the pear, not the pear in something like yogurt of infant cereal as those tend to be constipating.
    Dr. Sears gives a simple list of constipating vs. non on his website I believe.

Is baby receiving iron supplements? Also constipating.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; December 24th, 2015 at 12:33 AM.

with the excellent advice above.

If constipation is becoming an issue, I suggest keeping a poop diary. It can be difficult to remember when your child last pooped, and if you don't write things down you can miss lengthening intervals between poops. A diary is helpful if you ever need to go and discuss this with the pediatrician.

I was told that the lighter fruits, I.e. Pears, apples, bananas, can be constipating! No iron supplements, and the things I usually end up feeding her is pear spinach, apples and prunes, apples and blueberries! That's pretty much all I feed her because those seem to constipate her with having something that is supposed to promote pooping much less anything else that doesn't have anything to help her poop!! I have given her glycerin suppositories and it doesn't really help!! She might poop a little, but nothing to make me believe she has "emptied" her bowels!! And she is still uncomfortable!! I guess I will try all I can until Monday when I can call the pediatrician again! Thanx

The foods to avoid are the BRAT foods: bananas, rice, apples, and toast (or bread products). The foods you want to give your baby are the P fruits: pears, plums, peaches, aPricots, prunes. Blueberries and cherries are also excellent.

When you suspect constipation, here is what you want to be aware of:
    - Frequency. A baby who is going just once or twice a week, or whose poops are getting farther and farther apart.
    - Consistency. Babies who always produce soft, squishy poops are not constipated even if those poops are relatively far apart. Babies who produce stool which is dry, hard, pellet-like, or will roll right off the diaper when you pick it up- those babies are constipated. A typical pattern for constipated babies is for them to produce a small amount of very dry, hard, pellet-like stool, followed by a large volume of softer, clay-like material.
    - Attitude. A baby who is very upset while pooping- turning red, making faces of effort and unhappiness, crying in pain.

Make sure you tell the ped that the suppository is not resulting in what you are expecting. Those things work really well, typically. So I wonder if you are expecting more than is there- perhaps baby is not constipated at all. As mommal says, constipation is evident due to the consistency of the poop or the difficulty with going. Long periods of time, even several days, between poops can be normal. On the other hand, if there really is an obstruction and the suppository is not getting it to move, doctor needs to know that. Doctor may need to do an exam to be sure.

I am guessing from your description of what baby eats that baby is getting mixed fruit/vege purees. If that is the case, I suggest try slices of plain ripe FRESH pear, soaked stewed (to softness) prunes or apricots, plain small blueberries (small enough to not be choking hazard.) Peaches and plums and cherries are probably not in season otherwise those are fine too of course, maybe get some frozen and defrosted they will be nice and soft for baby. The reason is the purees may not have enough of the fiber that helps baby poop, may have added iron, also, purees slide down so easy baby may be eating too much for easy digestion and not chewing and masticating the food enough, actions that trigger the bowels to move. If you are used to spoon feeding baby purees, it can be scary to give baby foods they have to bite and chew. If you are concerned about the safety, look up baby led weaning or baby led solids for tips and suggestions.

I am not against trying more "solids" rather than the purees, but she don't have any teeth yet and it does scare me a bit! It is hard to spoon feed most if the time also because she tries to suck it off the spoon!! She will, however, eat the yogurt bites pretty well so I don't know!! I have just had major trouble with weight gain issues to not wanting to eat with texture issues to constipation problems! Now she had RSV so I'm trying to keep her hydrated and keep pneumonia away!! Sorry for the late response!!

Sorry baby is ill! Obviously no reason to change anything with feeding right now while you are dealing with that.

If you want to try offering solids in the manner I suggested, I suggest researching it. There is a book (Baby Led Weaning) and lots of info online, including videos. A baby can bite and chew remarkably well without teeth, but the food does have to be somewhat soft of course.