Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Time to wean?... I HOPE NOT....?????

Default Time to wean?... I HOPE NOT....?????

My little one is 15 months in just a few days and has been EBF. My period came back at 6 months and I have noticed some changes every month in our breastfeeding pattern when I'm ovulating. After I'm done ovulating, things seem to get back to normal. My daughter usually nurses 6-7 times / day.

The past week or so, things have been different. She acts so disinterested in nursing... distracted, may only eat for a couple of minutes and then pulls off, etc. At first I thought it was just a phase she was going through (she's starting to take steps walking, hasn't been napping well, possible teething, etc)... then I realized I'm ovulating. I'm having horrible cramps that I usually get and everything. Also, I think my daughter might have a little intestinal bug that my other two children had... no fever and not acting like she feels bad, but some really loose stools... which is what my other two children have been having. I have backed off solids the past 2 days so food will not upset her stomach and have been trying to just keep nursing her through this. She again is only nursing here and there and acting disinterested.

Have any of you dealt with anything like this? I want to nurse closer to two years old, but every time we have a hiccup in our breastfeeding, I'm paranoid that she does not want to nurse anymore and this will be the end. It seriously upsets me and I'm not ready for us to be through with this. She has always loved nursing... no one else can even put her down for a nap, etc.... she wants Mommy. I know I still have milk.... I've never had supply issues... the only time I possibly see a difference is during my cycle (mainly ovulating).

Any help would be appreciated. I'm so upset.... and I know that isn't helping anything. I feel that she can sense it with me.

Default Re: Time to wean?... I HOPE NOT....?????

Hi. I think 15 months would be very young for spontaneous weaning that is entirely the baby's idea. Being distracted or disinterested or reducing the frequency or duration of nursing sessions is not the same as being ready to wean fully- stop nursing. This could be part of the weaning process, which may take many many months or even years. It might also be related to your child feeling ill, as of course no one wants to eat much when ill. Especially if the issue is intestinal.

If you think that your baby's disinterest is due to a temporary reduction in production or reduced flow due to your cycle, maybe you could consider taking a galactagogue during such times. If you do not think this is supply (or flow) related, what might the issue be?

Here is why a child might wean "Early"
    Being fed with bottles (except as needed due to separations)
    Pacifier (over) use
    Being given too much juice or cow milk or formula or even water- too much, meaning, more than needed. A 15 month old who nurses does not need any juice or milk or formula (unless weight gain is a concern) and probably not as much water as a child who does not nurse.
    Child is overfed, particularly with liquidy baby foods- lots of purees, infant cereal, etc.
    Child is in any way discouraged from nursing (not freely offered to nurse, not allowed to nurse for some period of time, held off with other comfort measures, etc. Yes it is fine to say "lets wait until we get to the car" or something, I am talking about some kind of regular discouragement coming from mom. We know that even "don't offer, don't refuse" is a weaning technique.)

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm am happy to hear this might not be weaning. I really want to keep nursing her. I now think I might have this stomach bug she had... not fevers, etc... just a yucky upset stomach. Also, I'm still ovulating, possibly on the last few days of it. One thing I've noticed, is usually I have a quick let down. As soon as baby starts sucking, my milk quickly comes down. The past few days, I haven't felt my letdown (it's also usually VERY strong, so I feel it). Baby will suck, but when she doesn't feel that milk coming, she gets distracted and is on to trying to do other things. I'm wondering if that could be the ovulating.... or even my nerves? I'm becoming a nervous wreck each time I sit to nurse her...... What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm am happy to hear this might not be weaning. I really want to keep nursing her. I now think I might have this stomach bug she had... not fevers, etc... just a yucky upset stomach. Also, I'm still ovulating, possibly on the last few days of it. One thing I've noticed, is usually I have a quick let down. As soon as baby starts sucking, my milk quickly comes down. The past few days, I haven't felt my letdown (it's also usually VERY strong, so I feel it). Baby will suck, but when she doesn't feel that milk coming, she gets distracted and is on to trying to do other things. I'm wondering if that could be the ovulating.... or even my nerves? I'm becoming a nervous wreck each time I sit to nurse her...... What are your thoughts on this? I also want to add, I'm taking Motherlove More Milk Plus to help my supply right now too....

The past few days, I haven't felt my letdown (it's also usually VERY strong, so I feel it). Baby will suck, but when she doesn't feel that milk coming, she gets distracted and is on to trying to do other things. I'm wondering if that could be the ovulating.... or even my nerves? I'm becoming a nervous wreck each time I sit to nurse her...... What are your thoughts on this?
    Here are my thoughts.
    Not feeling letdown is very normal, even if you felt a strong letdown before. Not feeing letdown does not typically mean much.
    If baby seems unhappy with a slow flow, you can try hand expressing before nursing, breast compressions and/or switching sides rapidly. All might increase flow rate. Also there is an herbal galactagogue that is believed to specifically target letdown rate-Fennel I think.
    It is never a good thing if nursing makes a mom a nervous wreck. On the other hand, I think that stress would have to be pretty severe- of the life altering variety- to be affecting milk production. However, stress about nursing may indeed impede milk flow. What can you do to relax at bit? Breathing, visualizing, guided meditation, a glass of wine?