Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He won't take solids!

Default Re: He won't take solids!

Some babies really don't like baby food and just want FOOD! But, some just aren't really ready at 6-7 months, and that's fine too. It's ok to back off a bit and try again later! It sounds like you're doing great reading his cues! Chances are, in 3 months, he will be more interested than he is now.

Tama's Mom - we're having the same problem as you now. Twice he has tried a piece of banana (put it in his mouth himself) and then thrown up all over the place. Poor little man! So banana is out, we'll try something else now that hopefully won't provoke the same reaction. Promising that he's putting things in his mouth though, now....

Mine didn't take much for solids either till about 15 mths (12 mths adjusted age, preemie) she was exclusively bf till that point. Shad issues gagging, so i just waited and tried once each week to see if she could handle it, and nope. We basically skipped the pureed stuff. Around 15 mths, she started taking some finger foods and handled it just fine. Just took her time, some babies need that. Nothing wrong with just bm for the first year. I also had her iron tested, it was fine and i gave no supplements either.

I would just hold off for now, try again in a week or two and keep doing that until baby seems ready. No need to push it at this time

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    I know there was one mom around the board for a while whos child had major feeding issuses and she shared about the eating therapy her child was getting but that was ages ago and I don't remember what the threads were call or I would bump them up.
    Hi! I think you might be referring to me. Here is a link to some of my earlier posts in regard to oral aversion (just look for the posts from llowe in this thread). http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...=oral+aversion

Honestly, though I wouldn't worry a whole lot at just 7 months. Many babies aren't interested in solids until a bit older. Unless there are some other signs of a problem (like those I listed in the posts I linked above), just keep offering food a let baby play and become familiar with it. Also regarding the throwing up--I was at a presentation given by the author of My Child Won't Eat (LLL approved book) and someone asked about this. The response was that if the *baby* is choosing to eat the food and then gags or throws up, that's ok. Just let the baby take the lead.

Oops, I forgot to add my perspective on the iron issue. From what I've read and experienced regarding iron, the current info seems to say that full term healthy babies have enough iron stores (plus the iron in breastmilk) to last *at least* the first six months. Often it can be longer than six months--nobody really seems to know. One study sighted in The Breastfeeding Answer Book found that babies exclusively breastfed for 7 months or longer were LESS likely to be anemic later on than babies who started solids earlier.

I think that the need for additional iron in the diet can vary a lot from baby to baby, and may likely to be linked to heredity as well. In my experience, my DS was exclusively BF for almost 22 months. His iron (hemoglobin) was checked several times, the last being at about 20 months--and it was on the high end of normal. Personally, my own hemoglobin went UP during my pregnancy despite not taking any iron supplements (not even prenatal vitamins) because they killed my stomach (I do eat a lot of red meat though ). Most ped's do a routine iron check at 9 or 12 months. Get the test and if there is a problems then address it. If not, don't worry about it. When baby starts eating solids, make sure to offer some iron-rich foods.

Hi! I can't be of much help because my lo is only 4 months, so we havent tried solid foods yet. BUt i did however come across this website which gives very AWESOME info on self feeding and i plan to follow it to a T when we DO start solids....hth!

here is the link (i think it's Swedish or German, but it's written in ENglish!):
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html