Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He won't take solids!

Default He won't take solids!

Hi there! My DS is nearly 7 months old and has been more or less exclusively breastfed until now. We have been trying to introduce solids for the last month or so but it is not going well at all. The first time it actually went really well - rice cereal of course. He didn't like the spoon but once we gave him hold of the dish he gulped it down (like from a cup). We had perhaps one more successful feeding and then it all went downhill.

It may have been because the BM I used didn't taste good at one point (I have an excess lipase problem), but I'm not sure - he's been taking bottles of the stuff without trouble. We've tried cereal with banana, potato, sweet potato, apple, mostly in soupy consistency but also chunks, and he just won't take anything. He just plays with the chunks and rejects the soupy stuff. When we are eating he grabs for our plates and cutlery, but then when we give him some of it (if baby friendly), again - nothing.

Any ideas? I can't see why he wouldn't be ready given the initial successes and his interest in what we are eating. My main concern is that we'll be in the same position in 3 months time!

Thanks so much,

dri

Default Re: He won't take solids!

My DD almost 8 months doesn't really eat much either. That's OK. Food during the first year is really just for experimentation not to fill baby up or give nutrition. Since your lo likes to feed himself you may be interested in trying out the babyled method. Do a search for baby led at the top of the page, blue line, click search. There have been lots of threads and posts on it. Also read this. It's a thread on rice cereal. Not the best choice for baby's first food even though it's the most recommended.

Good luck.

Thanks, Sue. I'm so confused, because I often read that additional iron is needed by 6 months. Then I went to a solids class where the instructor said 9 months. You say a year - I don't know what to think!

I like the idea of baby-led solids introduction (honestly, did stone age mums really mash up all those nuts and berries?!), my only concern would be that he isn't or won't be getting the nutrients that he needs if he doesn't start leading soon....

if you compare breastmilk and solids, breastmilk is much beter for baby then the solids anyways.
    The iron that's in breastmilk is highly absorable compared to add iron in baby creral.

My DS didn't want anything to do with any food that was introduced with a spoon or fork. Instead, he wanted to feed himself! So, we waited, didn't push, and offered him foods that he could pick up and put in his mouth. Worked much better than trying (and wasting) all those baby foods that he didn't want anyway.

Lisa

I'm having the same problem where he won't eat any solids, he actually gags and throws up! However, he will pick things up and chew on it, any suggestions on food a baby without teeth can hold himself and eat? We tried the frozen bagel and when a piece broke off, he gagged and threw up. I have put a little bit of applesauce on his high chair tray and he licks his fingers - is the the right way to approach the self feeding?

That's a tough one....My twins were like that--just weren't ready for self-feeding for a long time, since they gagged and threw up on EVERYTHING. I was able to feed them pureed foods, though, from a spoon. If your LO is willing to eat from a spoon, go for that. If you don't mind waiting, there's no harm done in waiting, either. Remember that there's no better nutrition than your breastmilk, so waiting on solids isn't any big deal.

Lisa

all that gaging and throwing up makes me think that the baby is just not ready for solid foods.
    What does your doctor say about it?
    I know there was one mom around the board for a while whos child had major feeding issuses and she shared about the eating therapy her child was getting but that was ages ago and I don't remember what the threads were call or I would bump them up.
    your child will learn to eat its realy not a big deal untill they are older
    solids before 12 month is just for pactice and getting them used to eating, and watching for reactions.
    what your doing with the apple sauce sounds great!

The doctor is not concerned, she wanted to make sure he did not have an oral aversion, but since he's putting everything in his mouth, he doesn't. I gave him an animal cracker yesterday and he did fine, but it didn't break off. I also bought that mesh feeder thingy that Munchkin sells. We'll see how that works out, I'm going to try putting a pear or apple in it. I'll let you know! I think I just want him to eat like his friends do! My friend (who has a formula baby) has a son two weeks younger who is eating two jars of food a day! Of course, she also made me feel good because she said that my son just doesn't want to give up any of his yummy breast milk. I guess she is right.
    Last edited by Tamas Mom; December 9th, 2006 at 10:08 PM.

My son hated solids for nearly two months. When we finally abandoned the spoon and gave him some chunks of butternut squash (cooked till super soft) he loved picking them up and self-feeding. He now eats several different foods as long as he can feed himself. Perhaps this is what your LO would like.