Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need HELP - Manual AVENT works, Pump in Style does not

Default Re: Need HELP - Manual AVENT works, Pump in Style does not

I totally feel your pain! I was in the same situation about 2 months ago with my Manual Avent working better than my Medeal Pump in Style...
    I, too, did not have time to use a manual on my breaks, so I bought the Avent IQ Duo and I love it! It has made all the difference; my supply is back up now. I was only pumping a total of 10-12 ounces before and now I'm getting 16-18 easily! The pump is expensive; it's like $350 and I had to get a credit card specifically to buy it.. but it was so worth it! I would recommend this pump to anyone (and No I don't work for Avent! )
    My stress level has gone way done this I started using the IQ. You start off pumping manually then press a button the handle and the pump memorizes the pattern and continues it. My let-down only takes about 10 seconds now and pumping takes 10 minutes, as opposed to the 30 minutes it took before.
    If you can't invent in the second pump, have you tried bringing a picture of your baby with you to pump? And drinking lots of water? I started listening to relaxing music while pumping too and it seems to help. Well, good luck....I hope some of this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu
    I invested in a new Medela Pump-in-Style but I could never get more than two ounces from both breasts with it, in spite of the fact that I've practised extensively!!! I went back to work yesterday, my dd is now 4 months old, and I need to pump 18 ounces daily for her... It's impossible to keep up and I am ready to buy formula (though I don't want to!!).
    My manual pump, an AVENT, works great, on the other hand. I see the milk flowing, sometimes up to 6 different sprays... I try to switch to the Medela but that doesn't work either... The problem is that I don't have the time to pump with the manual three times a day!! Please, help me... Is this normal? Could it be that the Pump-in-Style doesn't work for me? Should I keep on practising? I've done it everyday for more than 15 days... Usually I get drops from the left breast and 1-2 ounces from the right one, after 30 minutes of pumping at full speed.
    I'm a working mom too and when I began to pump at work, I had similar problems. I had to use a bathroom stall at first and found that I just couldn't relax enough. I finally found a more comfortable room to pump yet still had problems pumping enough. I made a recording of my baby crying and cooing and it helped me dramatically just to hear the cry or coo for my let down. I also tried larger shields because I have fairly large nipples as well and it did make a difference.

I also found that if I read a book it helps me relax a lot more, and yes, sitting [I]does[I] make a difference.
    And drink lots, and lots of water! Very important! And try to relax just before you go to pump.

Also, to help increase your supply at home, try pumping as often as you can and it may help increase the demand for your milk. I'm still somewhat fresh at this myself, but these are some of the strategies I've tried.
    Last edited by JayciBugMom73; March 6th, 2006 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks so much ladies for all your help. After assuming for 4 months that the fault was mine -and not the machine's- I decided to take my new pump to the place where I bought it (a lactation center in a hospital) and had them check it. and do you know what??? IT WAS DEFECTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was such a relief to hear that!!! The pressure of the suction was half of what it was supposed to be, and somehow the speed of the suction was too fast, the lactation consultant told me. I phoned Medela from there and they shipped me a new PIS engine and bag in 24 hours, but now they expect me to ship the old one and pay for the shipping myself (???). I can't believe I spent 4 months fighting with that machine, crying because of the engorgement and the milk that would not come out, drinking tons of teas trying to relax, dry pumping FOR HOURS... You can't imagine the precious time I threw away and the stress I had because of all this... Now I'm at work heading to the bathroom stall for the first time with the machine, and let's see what I can get in 15 minutes. I tried the new machine on only one breast and got 2 oz. in 7 minutes last Friday night. The suction of the new machine is more rythmic, much stronger, completely different as the one in my original machine... SO BE CAREFUL LADIES. YOUR PIS COULD BE DEFECTIVE EVEN IF YOU BUY A NEW ONE. And I guess the lesson of all this is don't assume that the fault is all yours. It could be the machine!!! I should have thought of that earlier and I'd have saved myself a lot of headaches and formula feedings for my baby...

AND I GOT 6 OZ. IN 15 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!
    No picture of baby, no clothes to smell, just the machine and myself in the bathroom stall, and I got all this... It's amazing!

Yeah!

JuJu,
    I am soooo happy to hear your good news! I know how frustrating it is to try to remain calm and pump in a mere 15 minutes!
    I haven't gotten yelled at for being late back from my breaks--yet. Knock on wood.
    You must have been so relieved and yet kind of angry at the same time when you found out if was defective. But I'm so happy that everything is alright for you now!

Awesome, congratulations!!! Sorry about the defective machine, though...