Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cracked nipples, late latching problem?

Unhappy Cracked nipples, late latching problem?

Hello ladies!

I have been breastfeeding my son since he was born, he is currently almost 14 months. Aside from a little soreness the first couple weeks of his life, it has been smooth sailing with no problems, up until now. Suddenly, the past few days, my nipples have been sore while we nurse, and after. It has gotten worse every day to where I am dreading each session and I want to cry when he latches. At this point, my nipples are cracked and oozing what I believe to be plasma (clear). Everything that I read points to poor latch, but I don't get how we could just now be having a poor latch, we are like pros at this after 14 months! I noticed it doesn't look like his mouth is open quite as wide as I remember when he was younger, but I can't get him to open wider for me. I always envisioned myself letting him wean when he was ready and on his own, but this is getting to be so painful I cab hardly take it. Does anyone have any tips for me? It makes me feel guilty that I am considering weaning him myself.

Default Re: Cracked nipples, late latching problem?

Thrush? http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

Oozing sounds like there is possibly some kind of bacterial infection of the injured nipple. This is different than thrush and can be very very painful. I am not sure how to get this diagnosed and treated, because it is different than classic mastitis as well, but responds very well to anti biotic treatment as mastitis would. You could try a topical anti-biotic and see if that helps at all.

When latch is an issue this age, and yes it certainly can happen, what typically is the cause is baby does not have enough room to latch correctly. Meaning, baby cannot lean head back and instead is tucking chin, making it impossible for baby to open mouth wide. So the remedy is finding different positions that give baby room to lean/tilt head back.