Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lower milk production

Default lower milk production

My son is 3 weeks old and has had trouble latching on since the beginning. I originally starting by pumping my breast and when my milk came in I was able to get 3oz from each breast. I started to nurse with a nipple shield and this past week he was in the hospital and I was feeding him every 2 -2 1/2 hrs with a nipple shield. The last few days I needed to go back to pumping and my milk supply has dwindle dramatically, down to 1 0z from each breast, every if I waited 4-6 hours to pump. Both of my breasts are sorer and the pumping has also been painful. They also haven't been that hard and are barely leaking. Can anybody help explain to me what might be going on?
    Thanks

Default Re: lower milk production

My little girl is 18 days old and ive got the same thing as you...Up until now i have had full hard boobs, maybe over-supply...then this week it seems like i havent got enough and they are too soft...

Could it just be something to do with the LO being three w/o???

Will i ever get my milk to increase again???

babies nursing will belp keep you milk up much better then pumping....if latching on is the issue have you tried nursing laying down on your side? My DS is much more comfty that waya nd nurses much better! we both lay on our sides looking at each other the whole time he nurses,its the best!

ALso I got the mothers milk tea that everyone has been talking so much about. My ped suggested it. Breast milk supply is definately supply and demand working at its best! so keep at it!

babies nursing will belp keep you milk up much better then pumping....if latching on is the issue have you tried nursing laying down on your side? My DS is much more comfty that waya nd nurses much better! we both lay on our sides looking at each other the whole time he nurses,its the best!

ALso I got the mothers milk tea that everyone has been talking so much about. My ped suggested it. Breast milk supply is definately supply and demand working at its best! so keep at it!

My baby is going to be four months. I only had six weeks off from work and then I had to go back. I nursed but I also give him formula at night so he can sleep thru the whole night. I use to pump and got 4 oz from each breast, but for the past almost two months, I haven't been leaking like before. I can only take out 4 oz in total now. I only nurse him sometime during the day but mostly at like around 5am when he is kinda waking up and I still want to sleep...

But I still want to be able to get more milk. I want to keep breastfeeding as much as I can. I breastfeed him when I get home from work and he drinks his formula during working hours. I'm really interested in that milk tea though, HAS ANYONE TRY THE MILK TEA? DID IT WORK?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollymac View Post

WHERE CAN I GET THAT MILK TEA?