Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night weaning to regain fertility - how long did it take?

Default Night weaning to regain fertility - how long did it take?

For those of you who night-weaned in order to get your fertility and periods back, how long did it take - i.e. how long after establishing a 6 hour stretch without nursing in the night? We're almost 3 weeks into a new sleep routine including a 6 hour stretch (related to an earlier post of mine) and I'm curious to hear other people's experiences. Thank you!

Default Re: Night weaning to regain fertility - how long did it take

Hello, momma.

Your question is a hard one to answer because it's incredibly personal! Some moms get their fertility back without getting a longer stretch, and other moms can go years with a long stretch and not see their fertility return.

Personally, I work for 6 hours a few days a week and I don't pump while I'm at work. I nurse right before I leave and right when I get home, so it's about a 6.5 hr stretch. I haven't seen a peep from my period and I've been doing that since he was 3 months, and now he's almost 11 months. The average time post party for fertility to come back is around 15 months. So there's that!

Default Re: Night weaning to regain fertility - how long did it take

if you got 100 moms to answer your question, you'd get 100 different answers. The median might tell you something... But it still wouldn't tell YOU what do expect from your body.

My kids didn't drop all their night feedings until they were 2 years old. Fertility came back at 15 months with each of them, about 4 months after they went down to 1-2 nighttime nursing sessions.