Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - considering exclusive pumping

Default Help - considering exclusive pumping

Hello, I am in need of help. My three week old (9 lbs 10 oz) had a big appetite however is a very lazy eater on the breast. He constantly falls asleep or lazily sucks no matter how much I switch breast or try to keep him awake. At 3 days old we had to start supplementing with formal due to a 10% drop in weight and jaundice. He is only getting 1-2 bottles (1-2 ounces each) a day of formula currently. I am doing my best to increase my milk supply (fenugreek, oatmeal, lactation cookies etc) while also pumping to empty out my breast after each feeding (every 2-3 hours). I truly believe I have a low milk supply (anemic and have PCOS) due to his behavior after he feeds of both breast (which takes a good 40mins - hour due to his laziness) and the fact that when I pump very little milk comes out. I do my best to calm him down and not feed with a bottle after nursing for fear of over feeding. My main issue is - I am not sure how much longer I can keep up with this. I am exhausted from nursing - then pumping - then getting very little sleep before having to nurse again. I am strongly considering exclusively pumping so that I know exactly how much he is eating while also gaining back the time spent from him being such a lazy eater. Any advice on how I should proceed is greatly appreciated. I want to do what is best for my son, however seeing him constantly fuss and upset as well as being very sleep deprived is not helping either one of us.

Default Re: Help - considering exclusive pumping

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

In order to help us help you better, can you answer some questions for us? It would be really helpful to know the following:
    - A bit about your birth, including whether or not you had IV fluids, a c-section, high volume blood loss, or any other intrapartum complications.
    - Baby's weight history, including birth weight, lowest weight, and weight at each checkup.
    - How nursing feels. Are you having any pain?
    - How many times baby nurses in a 24 hour period.
    - How much milk you get when you pump, and what sort of pump you are using.

Default Re: Help - considering exclusive pumping

Hi mama! I see you posted in another thread as well, so I'll keep this brief as hopefully you'll get lots of help there. You might have low milk supply. Or, you might not. Lots of moms think that they have low milk supply in the beginning, especially if they pump what seems like very little and baby is fussy. Unfortunately or fortunately, that isn't necessarily true, as pump output is not a good indicator of supply. If you pump a lot in a very short amount of time, you could have oversupply, but that isn't always the case. I don't get a lot while pumping but I don't have low supply; I just don't respond well to the pump. Also, being fussy is partly just being a newborn and how they feed. They tend to be fussy, even if they've eaten for an hour. They might still be hungry (which isn't really an indicator of supply--newborns are always hungry!) or they might need comfort or something else. How is baby latching? Does it hurt? Have you been able to see an IBCLC that you are comfortable with? If you feel you need to exclusively pump--kudos to you--I would suggest you try renting a hospital grade pump and make sure that you regularly switch out the valves and membranes so as to maximize the pump's efficacy. If you are not doing so already, you may want to try blessed thistle along with fenugreek to increase your supply as well. This protocol is what I use when I need a boost: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...ename=doc-HRMS

I hear you on the sleep. It's tough to sleep with a newborn around, no matter the feeding method.
    & working mom of one sweet baby girl