Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Baby seems to be sucking in a lot of air when feeding

Default Re: Baby seems to be sucking in a lot of air when feeding

We both appreciate all the information and help everyone has given! It is definitely nice to have family and friends being able to help but forums like this help as well.

The lactation consultant came today at 1:30pm and was here for almost 2 hours. She was great. She answered all our questions and made sure everything was going ok. She weighed him then had him latch and weighed him again to see how much he was getting. She watched me pump. And she also watched him with a bottle. Not even 5 minutes into the session she found he is extremely tongue tied. His lingual frenulum is almost to the tip of his tongue. He also has a slight upper lip tie but she said this isn't all that bad since his lip flares when latched. She seemed like the type of nurse that likes to do things on the side of caution...meaning she would rather see if something fixed itself before some kind of surgery but she said this is something she highly recommends we get it cut.

This explains pretty much all of our problems. He was probably cluster feeding for 5+ hours because he wasn't getting enough. Since he had to keep trying his mouth was getting tired so he was go to sleep and wake up and try again. That also explains him being so fussy last night. He is probably going through a growth spurt and needs more milk than the last 9 days. Being tongue tied he couldn't get what he needed so he cried. It also explains the gas sound he was making. She said that sound is 100% air getting into his stomach and it sounded like a lot to her.

For the time being she showed us how to bottle feed him without getting that sound (we weren't putting the nipple in his mouth far enough). I'm still going to breast feed but will most likely need to supplement until he can have his tongue fixed. Luckily we caught it soon enough were my milk supply isn't gone. It will take some weeks to get back but I'm hopefully that it will get back and he will be able to nurse without supplmenting.

So glad you saw someone good and she found the source of your issues. More proof mom knows baby best, it's too easy to forget this!
    Please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    So glad you saw someone good and she found the source of your issues. More proof mom knows baby best, it's too easy to forget this!
    Please keep us posted.
    Yes I am glad we found this company and this nurse. She was very helpful. She wanted us to keep breastfeeding but knew right now it would be hard with his tongue tie so she should use the best way to bottle feed him until we can get the issue fixed (which hopefully will be within a day or two). Now that I think about it, I had a feeling that was the problem. He never stuck out his tongue and when he tried, the middle would always be stuck back.

I'm a little disappointed that this isn't something the hospital or pedi would look into. With it being such a big problem but easy fix I would think they would always check for it. I understand some people would rather wait and see if it fixes itself (the LC said it could detach itself if thin enough) but with a case this extreme I would have had them cut it at the hospital.

Either way, I'm glad it was found and we have solutions until it is fixed. I will let everyone know how it goes.

A lot of doctors think tongue and lip ties are "made up" and aren't really a problem and they'll all fix themselves of you try hard enough, and nipple pain is normal for breastfeeding and if it hurts so bad just formula feed and blah de blah...

I'm surprised none of us mentioned it. It's usually one of the first questions I ask but I was so focused on the bottle feeding I guess I forgot! This LC that's helping you seems very good and I'm glad she's supportive of you! After the tie is fixed, a lot of people like to visit a Craniosacral therapist to kind of "reset" the muscles in baby's jaw so relearning how to suck isn't so hard. Your baby is very young so he might not need it but if the tie being fixed doesn't help right away, within 2 or 3 days, I'd probably check that out next. Fingers crossed that the tie being released will be all that's needed!

Kudos for being so determined and willing to go through the steps required to get things working smoothly. Your baby is lucky

Just finished another feeding and it went well. He doesn't seem to get much from me but he was able to finish a 2oz bottle without spiting up. I pumped after just to get things going again and make sure my supply starts ramping up.

It is funny because in the hospital I was thinking to myself that I wanted them to check for it. I thought I remember someone saying he wasn't tongue tied but I could have made that up. Now knowing that he is tongue tied and lip tied, I can definitely see it. When he tries to flare his top lip out, sometimes he doesn't make it all the way. Hopefully I can get in touch with someone that can do the procedure soon. The LC did mention seeing someone if needed. I'm hoping he is so young that he works it out himself but I will keep an eye on it.

She wanted us to keep breastfeeding but knew right now it would be hard with his tongue tie so she should use the best way to bottle feed him until we can get the issue fixed (which hopefully will be within a day or two).
    This advice should raise some eyebrows. Early introduction of the bottle and exclusive bottle feeding are risks to breastfeeding in and of themselves. Young babies often come to expect feedings to be delivered via bottle and they start fussing at the breast or even rejecting it outright. I personally would want to keep the baby on the breast as much as possible while you are waiting for the tongue tie revision, just to keep the baby in the mindset that meals and comfort come from the breast. You never mention pain as one of your problems, so I see no reason not to offer the breast at the conclusion of every bottle or in place of the bottle when you want to nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This advice should raise some eyebrows. Early introduction of the bottle and exclusive bottle feeding are risks to breastfeeding in and of themselves. Young babies often come to expect feedings to be delivered via bottle and they start fussing at the breast or even rejecting it outright. I personally would want to keep the baby on the breast as much as possible while you are waiting for the tongue tie revision, just to keep the baby in the mindset that meals and comfort come from the breast. You never mention pain as one of your problems, so I see no reason not to offer the breast at the conclusion of every bottle or in place of the bottle when you want to nurse?
    No pain whatsoever but he isn't getting enough food solely from me to sustain weight. The LC wants him to breast feed for 20 minutes on each side before receiving a bottle. Sorry if I didn't mention that. She didn't want us to stop breast feeding until the issue was fixed. She knows he isn't getting enough from me but still wanted him to breastfeed with an addition of a bottle. This way he gets some milk plus it helps my supply. After he feeds I will pump to hopefully empty and regain more milk. When she weighed him before and after feeding, he only got about 6ml. That was maybe 45 minutes worth of feeding.

So right now our feeding goes; 10 to 20 minutes each breast (depending on if he unlatches or not), bottle until he is full, finished with pumping each breast.

I'm relieved to hear that the LC doesn't want you to stop nursing! Sometimes moms get advised to take the baby off the breast completely while waiting to solve a problem, and i always think it's crazy, because what happens if the baby gets trained to the bottle and then won't go back to the breast? How did that help anything?

Anyway, if you have time you might want to do the following: nurse, supplement, and then nurse again at the conclusion of the bottle- and then pump. That way the baby gets the idea that the breast is a place where he feels calm, comforted, and satiated, instead of associating that feeling with the bottle.

Yeah she was into breastfeeding which was good because that is what we want. She understood that he wasn't getting enough from me because of his tongue and lip but still wanted him to try until his tongue was fixed.

That is a great idea. We will definitely try that. After the supplement he gets into a crazy food coma and usually falls asleep but he will most likely latch on for at least comfort.

I feel so. Now that I know the issue, I can definitely see him having issues trying to swallow. I believe he has Type II so it isn't at the tip of his tongue but very close. I tried to swallow with my tongue touching my bottom front teeth and it was very annoying. I can only imagine what it feels like for him since that is how he eats. I called the Pedi yesterday at 3:30pm. The receptionist messaged a nurse who I guess talks to the Pedi then they get back to me. They closed at 5pm yesterday. I called back today and they said no nurse is on until Monday so we have to wait until Monday. Then we have to set an appointment to see the ENT to get it done which probably won't be for a few days after we talk with them. I really wanted to get something for Monday. He is eating but I consider this kind of an emergency since it makes eating hard and that is really the only thing babies do right now. Not an emergency to go to a hospital but something a Pedi would get back to us quickly about. I may be getting annoyed just because it is happening to me. I just thought the Pedi would have called back on Friday so we could get it fixed sooner rather than later. The LC did say that some Pedis don't recommend getting it done because it could fix itself and it sometimes doesn't affect anything. This is making nursing almost impossible for him and even bottle feeding is hard. I just want to see who the Pedi recommends. Even if she says not to get it done, we will be getting it done somewhere. My nephew (3 months old) had the same thing (not as bad as Oliver). They really liked the Dr that did it so if our Pedi doesn't want us to do it we will most likely go with the Dr they used. All the reading I have been doing, it is best to have it done now instead of waiting. If we wait and it doesn't fix itself, it will hurt a lot to get it done because nerve endings start growing.

Edit: Another issue that may be worsened because of tongue tied is reflux. Since a lot of air is getting in, he does spit up if we don't burp him often. I'm not overly concerned with reflux since it seems to go away most of the time but reflux can turn into GERD if not handled correctly. Obviously I am not a Dr and this is all info I found online.
    Last edited by @llli*bboliver; November 7th, 2015 at 09:52 AM.

I'm surprised none of us mentioned it.
    well, I did mention it. On the first page in my second post (post number 7.) Because op mentioned no pain and weight gain appeared normal, I thought TT unlikely. But I suggested tongue tie was a possible cause of the sounds baby is making when eating.

This is a perfect example of why a mom and baby have to be SEEN by a professional who is capable of assessing breastfeeding issues when there are breastfeeding issues. Remember that the next time someone disses professional lactation consultants as "lactivistst."

As far as a doctor finding & treating the tie, yes I agree, a classic and obvious tongue tie where tongue mobility is obviously impaired IS one of the potential feeding issues that can be observed at birth, and at some hospitals and by some doctors, will be treated immediately post birth. But not everywhere. Doctors, including pediatricians get NO required training in lactation issues in medical school. None. For a long time, even classic ties were only treated after baby was a year old. The thinking on tongue ties and when and even how they should be treated with fenectomy is evolving and is by no means settled science at this point. This is NOT to say in any way that your baby should not be treated! I definitely would trust your LC on that one. Also, despite the tie not being noticed (or in any case, not mentioned as a possible problem) in the hospital, you are still catching this very early. Many ties are not treated for months. As you know, the faster the tie is treated the better, and if you are getting the tie treated this week, that is fast.

I know this is frustrating for you, but if this was 15 or even 10 years ago, it would be virtually impossible to find anyone who treats TT in newborns. That situation has improved greatly, thank goodness.

Yes TT is suspected as worsening reflux. But I certainly would not worry in any way about reflux or GERD in a two week old baby whose tt will shortly be treated. Reflux (spit up) even frequent and copious spit up, is normal. Your baby may well continue to spit up long after the tie is treated.

This is a good recent article about tongue tie from a pioneer in the area of early tt diagnoses and treatment to prevent breastfeeding issues: http://www.alisonhazelbaker.com/blog/

I agree with mommal about keeping baby nursing as much as possible. Unless nursing is painful or injurious to you, baby nursing will not hurt anything and will help a lot in preventing bottle preference and latch issues later.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 7th, 2015 at 10:45 AM.