Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Baby seems to be sucking in a lot of air when feeding

Default Re: Baby seems to be sucking in a lot of air when feeding

If you think something is wrong with how baby eats, breast or bottle, I would suggest seeing an IBCLC. They are the only professionals trained to assess infant feeding in this way, especially as regards breastfeeding, of course, but an IBCLC will also know what is an is not normal with bottle feeding as well. They will assess the dyad- you AND baby. This is vital.

Do you not like using a bottle with breastmilk?
    do you mean personally? No, this never worked for me. Pumping is pretty much the least fun I have ever had with my breasts.

Generally? There are many issues involved with giving bottles to a breastfed baby, even bottles of breastmilk. There are also issues with pumping. If you understand what those are and take steps to avoid or minimize them, then occasional bottles might be ok, it really just depends. This thread may be interesting to you: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...hurt-my-supply

I have a few IBCLCs lined up to call tomorrow. I definitely need to talk to someone about what is going on. He gained 3oz in his first week and has had plenty of wet and yellow dirty diapers so he must be getting something from me. I'm not really worried about that. Just want to figure out why he makes that noise. If it happened just when feeding I may overlook it but he does it with a paci and with nothing in his mouth.

I am now going on the 5th hour of a cluster feeding and it is taking a toll on me physically and mentally. I do want to breastfeed but it is wearing me down. Maybe co-sleeping is something I need to look into. Is this something I can do while he is latched on?
    Last edited by @llli*bboliver; November 6th, 2015 at 01:23 AM.

If you can use the side-lying position, you can probably sleep or at least doze while baby is latched on.

Before embarking on co-sleeping, please check out the guidelines for doing so safely. Here's an intro: http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/cosleeping/

One thing I want to stress is that safe co-sleeping happens on a firm mattress or with baby in a sidecar crib. A lot of parents have been so scared off of bed-sharing that they think "You can't co-sleep in a bed, that's not safe. So we'll just sleep here on the sofa." And upholstered furniture- sofas, armchairs- that is the least safe place to be co-sleeping.

I am glad you are going to see an IBCLC. But take care with your expectations. If nursing is uncomfortable for you, THAT is something the LC may be able to help with right away by offering you adjustments in latch and positioning. Otherwise, there are basically two possibilities. Either all is normal and you & baby will go home and keep doing what you are doing, or there really is something up and they will give you a plan to address that issue. And that plan may require more 'work' for a bit. So in neither case are things going to be immediately easier. KWIM?

This is what the newborn period is like. Newborn babies need to eat frequently and they need to be held most of the time. So even if baby were not nursing, baby would be requiring to be held or otherwise comforted. But the fact is, motherhood requires mom be up frequently with baby and moms do not get the sleep they once did, and in the early weeks, this is particularly true.

There are many ways to maximize your sleep. You are not the only one there who can care for baby. So give baby to someone else (another responsible adult) and go take a nap. If you are overly exhausted, where you are to the point of feeling impaired, do not try bedsharing yet. First try to put together a stretch of 4 hours uninterrupted sleep. Baby will not starve in 4 hours, so you can do this even if you have no milk pumped. Many moms feel remarkably refreshed after getting a stretch like this. If you need longer, then arrange a way to get longer. I am not saying every day, I am saying as a starting point.

Bedsharing is one way to maximize mother's sleep. I provided links about to explore this issue so please read them, and if you are intrigued, I suggest get the book sweet sleep. Yes of course baby nurses while you are laying down, that is part of it. Have you attempted sidelying positioning yet when you are awake? That is where to start, after making sure the sleep surface is safe as mommal suggests.

You can also try leaning back on pillows, well supported, with baby on top of you? This is another way to rest and snooze while baby nurses. Make sure you are at a lean, not flat on your back.

If you want to breastfeed your baby, then I see no reason why you cannot. You make milk, and if there is a latch issue going on, that is the most common and usually most reliably fixable breastfeeding issue.

A word of caution- many moms find the newborn period overwhelming. This is normal. Sometimes, a mom may decide the problem is breastfeeding and stop. Later many of these moms regret that decision, but by then it is really, really hard to go back to breastfeeding because baby is acclimated to bottles and milk production has tanked. A mom can always decide to stop nursing, at any point. But reversing that decision is very difficult.

This article about lactation consults may be helpful to you: http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

Thanks for the link. I have been reading up on how to do it safely. I did know a couch is the worse place to do it.

I called a lactation consultant this morning (http://www.healthybabieshappymoms.co...n-consults.asp). Luckily the can come today.

Last night was the worse night. He starting feeding around 2pm yesterday and was feeding on and off until 5am this morning. He would fall asleep in my arms. As soon as I put him in a swing or sleep and rock he was scream. Around 5:30am or 6am this morning we put him in the sleep and rock and he started to burp a lot. This was almost an hour after feeding. I'm just at a loss right now. I don't know if it is because he isn't getting enough milk, he is gassy, he needs to sleep in my arms. All the other nights he would feed and sleep fine in the sleep and rock. It was like a switch was turned on and he is a completely different baby. Very exhausting not getting sleep and trying to figure out what is wrong with him. I'm hoping the LC can help us figure something out. If it isn't anything to do with feeding then we may have to call his pedi.

Sorry mama, that sounds like a rough night!

You might want to check this out: http://news.nd.edu/news/61145-resear...d-and-concept/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    I am glad you are going to see an IBCLC. But take care with your expectations. If nursing is uncomfortable for you, THAT is something the LC may be able to help with right away by offering you adjustments in latch and positioning. Otherwise, there are basically two possibilities. Either all is normal and you & baby will go home and keep doing what you are doing, or there really is something up and they will give you a plan to address that issue. And that plan may require more 'work' for a bit. So in neither case are things going to be immediately easier. KWIM?

This is what the newborn period is like. Newborn babies need to eat frequently and they need to be held most of the time. So even if baby were not nursing, baby would be requiring to be held or otherwise comforted. But the fact is, motherhood requires mom be up frequently with baby and moms do not get the sleep they once did, and in the early weeks, this is particularly true.

There are many ways to maximize your sleep. You are not the only one there who can care for baby. So give baby to someone else (another responsible adult) and go take a nap. If you are overly exhausted, where you are to the point of feeling impaired, do not try bedsharing yet. First try to put together a stretch of 4 hours uninterrupted sleep. Baby will not starve in 4 hours, so you can do this even if you have no milk pumped. Many moms feel remarkably refreshed after getting a stretch like this. If you need longer, then arrange a way to get longer. I am not saying every day, I am saying as a starting point.

Bedsharing is one way to maximize mother's sleep. I provided links about to explore this issue so please read them, and if you are intrigued, I suggest get the book sweet sleep. Yes of course baby nurses while you are laying down, that is part of it. Have you attempted sidelying positioning yet when you are awake? That is where to start, after making sure the sleep surface is safe as mommal suggests.

You can also try leaning back on pillows, well supported, with baby on top of you? This is another way to rest and snooze while baby nurses. Make sure you are at a lean, not flat on your back.

If you want to breastfeed your baby, then I see no reason why you cannot. You make milk, and if there is a latch issue going on, that is the most common and usually most reliably fixable breastfeeding issue.

A word of caution- many moms find the newborn period overwhelming. This is normal. Sometimes, a mom may decide the problem is breastfeeding and stop. Later many of these moms regret that decision, but by then it is really, really hard to go back to breastfeeding because baby is acclimated to bottles and milk production has tanked. A mom can always decide to stop nursing, at any point. But reversing that decision is very difficult.

This article about lactation consults may be helpful to you: http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html
    It is reassuring that this is some what normal. My husband and I both know this is very common but when you are going through it, it is very hard. Before last night we were getting 2 hours naps during the day and sleeping 3 to 4 hours at night. Last night he did a 180. My mom is willing to help and my husband parents are flying in from FL Tuesday for 5 days so they will be able to help. I just feel bad asking someone to watch a crying baby especially if he is crying because he just wants to latch. They obviously can't help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Sorry mama, that sounds like a rough night!

You might want to check this out: http://news.nd.edu/news/61145-resear...d-and-concept/
    We are both lucky to have each other to stay calm but boy was last night hard and so far this morning is going the same way. He just doesn't want to be away from my breast. I'll definitely be reading that article. I need to find a way to keep baby happy while being able to get some sleep.

Do you have a baby wrap? Wearing your baby during the day can let your baby latch and snooze as he pleases whike you have both hands free to make a sandwich or at least go for a walk to avoid going crazy. Once baby is asleep, you can loosen the wrap and prop yourself up on a safe mattress and rest a bit while baby is asleep on your chest.

My son never took a nap away from me for quite a long time. I spent many hours in my rocking chair holding him while he nursed and slept, nursed and slept. If I was getting tired, I'd go lay down in bed with him. At first, I was scared too. I had everyone - EVERYONE - warning me that my baby would die if I slept next to him. I wasn't convinced. Afterall, how did babies live before cozy, safe houses? They slept next to mom. Breastfeeding mothers are acutely aware if their babies next to them. The same idea that keeps you from rolling off of the bed keeps you from rolling over your baby. Also, many mothers instinctively curl around their babies, making it impossible to roll forward. You can try it - lay your baby on the bed, lay next to him and see how you naturally end up. Bottom arm under your head, upper arm either resting in your hip or gently over your baby? Knees bent so baby's feet are almost resting on thighs? Try rolling over like that. It's really hard! As long as the mother is not taking drugs, drinking, and is not overweight, bed sharing is very safe and natural. I'd encourage you to try it whole your husband is awake so he can monitor you and so you guys can see if you need to adjust something. I woukd really recommend Sweet Sleep. It's the best book I've ever read on infant sleep. It gives tips, but it mostly goes over what is NORMAL with infant sleep and some ways to deal with them safely and without many tears from mom or baby. Some might be she'd because baby woke up for the 6th time in 4 hours and you're frustrated - that happens to me sometimes! But knowing it's normal let's you take a breath, assess how you can make it work, and then plunge ahead.

No body is prepared for the newborn period and I'm sorry things are rough. It seems baby is gaining well, you're making milk, and you have your husband's support. Take these positives and use them to help you through the rough nights and find something that works for your family, even if it was off the table before having kids. I always swore I'd keep my kids out of my bed at night, but now I don't think I could sleep without my son next to me. The Sweet dreamy smiles I get in the early morning make up for the frazzled sleep I may or may not get.

you don't have to tell me it's hard, I get it. I cried every day the first month with my oldest. And I mean really, really cried. Ugly crying. It was just me and my husband, and then he went back to work at 2 weeks, and that was just not enough! What can I tell you, it gets better. I promise.

It is great you have family coming to help. Sometimes people need direction about what is the most helpful way to help. I suggest, ask for what you need. they can do everything else for you- cooking, cleaning, errands, diapers, laundry, making you a sandwich, etc. Everything, so that all of your energy can be on baby and your personal needs ONLY. This should go without saying, but of course your helpers are there to help you, and discouraging or disapproving comments about your parenting choices are not helpful.

When you need to get a break from baby, try to not feel guilty. There are many ways to comfort a baby. They will figure it out.