Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reverse cycling...

Default Reverse cycling...

My 5 month old is slowing switching to a reverse cycle. I am away from her from about 8:30-5:00 while I work. I'm just curious what other experiences people have had with this and how you learned to get the sleep you needed.

I do not mind feeding her at night since she sleep with my husband and I. Just curious what advice I can get.

THANKS!

Default Re: Reverse cycling...

My DD has pretty much always been a reverse cycler too. Now that she's older she wakes 1-2 times per night to BF, down from 3-4+ a few months ago. When I tell people that they think I am nuts, that there is something wrong with a 15 month old waking up at night.
    But, to me it makes perfect sense. Reverse cycling is logical.
    Anyway, this is not really helpful because I've basically just learned to live with the fact that night nursing is part of our lives for now. I suppose I have just adapted to being somewhat sleep-deprived. I drink too much coffee, but I doubt that's the response you want to hear!
    Anyway, just wanted to let you know someone else had a similar experience.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My LO reverse cycled for the first couple weeks when I went back to work & when he was in day care. Those first couple weeks he was barely eating during the day and kind of only enough to get by so we were up all night nursing. He's finally eating more at day care and we're back to getting up just 1 or 2 times per night ... except last week which seemed to be a growth spurt and wanted to eat every 2 to 3 hours! I'm trying to encourage him to nurse as much as possible in the evening - either cluster feeding frequently or marathon sessions where I get comfortable with him on the couch and ask DH to bring me food & water - which seems to help. He also does a funny thing where he'll wake up hungry about an hour after we've put him to bed and I'll nurse and then on a good night can go for another 5 hours before getting hungry again.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I'll take anything I get. Just knowing other people are out there is nice.

DD wakes up about every 2.5 hrs at night.

My dd is 6 months and has been reverse cycling since I went back to work full-time. She used to sleep through the night when I was home, but those days are over! She won't take a bottle at daycare, so she only nurses 4 times during the day, so it makes perfect sense to me that she wants to nurse more at night. She usually sleeps from 8pm to about 1 or 2am in the crib. When she wakes up, I bring her into my bed and she nurses 3-4 times until 7am when I get up. I don't really mind because I can mostly sleep through it. In fact, I'm glad for it because this way I'm not worried about the fact that she doesn't take a bottle.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

Oh, yes, reading a pp's post reminded me: I also think it helps to BF as much as possible/cluster feed your LO in the evenings between the time you get home and bedtime. I still do that, and our "after-work nurse" is one of the highlights of my day (laying on the couch relaxing, snuggling with DD who is usually a pretty busy little person these days ).

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My DS has been a reverse cycler since I went back to work at 12 weeks. We co-sleep and I think that's the only way I survive. After he got better with solids around a year the nightwakings decreased a bit on average it's probably 3 times a night now. If he's teething or something though it can still be every 2 hours. I've been working with him on sleeping on a materess next to our bed since around 18 months and he'll often sleep there for the first part of the night now.