Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful right breast issue HELP

Default Painful right breast issue HELP

My right breast is extremely painful when I nurse on that side, when I feel a let down and I can't even massage the breast because it hurts so bad. I don't feel hard so I don't think my milk is backed up. Please help

Default Re: Painful right breast issue HELP

It might be mastitis. Does your body feel achy, do you have a fever?

Are you able to nurse or does it hurt too badly? If you can't nurse, what about pumping or hand expressing? Milk needs to be removed to protect your supply so whatever is the least painful

It would help to have more information. How old is baby? Is this pain while nursing only or at other times? Is it located in the breast only or is it radiating from the nipple area? Does it hurt during letdown but not at other times? How often is baby nursing? Etc.

Here are the typical reasons a lactating mom has breast pain:
    Latch is "off" making it painful to nurse.
    Mom is engorged (Depending on moms anatomy, this may or may not make the whole breast hard)
    Letdown is very intense- this is more likely if mom has high production, and this is usually not a long lived sensation.

Mom has a plugged duct
    Mom has a breast infection (mastitis)
    Moms and baby have thrush.

Most of these can occur on one side and not the other, or on both sides at once.

The remedy for most of these is to nurse very frequently and make sure latch is as good as it can be. Even if the issue is thrush, a more comfortable latch should help. If this does not clear up or start improving right away, you might want to talk to or see a lactation consultant should that be possible.

My baby is 7 weeks old. I felt a pain in my left lower side by hips earlier today actually but I figured it was just from my c section or my ovaries. No fever. I don't have on a bra and my boob moving around also causes pain. It hurts while he eats and when he slows down and sucks with less force it won't hurt so bad anymore but when I break the latch and try to massage my breast I feel the pain the same.

If you are post C-section and having internal pain, I would suggest call the doctor. Abdominal pain is probably not going to be related to breastfeeding.

As far as the breast pain, I am sorry but the info is still a little to vague. IS this entirely new pain after nursing has felt fine until now?

If so, and it is the whole breast hurting that badly, and hurts when baby is nursing and whenever the breast moves or is touched, that sounds like either engorgement, mastitis or a really bad plug to me, maybe one that is deep in the breast tissue. Of course all three could occur together. Is baby not nursing quite as often as before, maybe? Have you been taking any ""breastfeeding teas" or herbs meant to increase production? Pumping? Any of these might cause these issues to crop up later rather than earlier. On the other hand, sometimes these things just happen, even a bit down the line.

One thing about massage- or any ideas moms are typically given for plugs and engorgement- if it hurts, or appears to be worsening the issue, don't do it or do it a different way.

I will link some info on these issues. I wil also say that while it is rare, sometimes lactating mothers have beast pain due to an injury or illness unrelated to breastfeeding, so you may want to see a doctor just as you would if you were not lactating.

If you see your doctor, make sure they understand lactation issues. Unfortunately, many do not. For example, if the doctor thinks the issue is related to nursing, and tells you to stop nursing, that indicates they do not understand lactation issues. If a mom has these issue the last thing she wants to do is stop nursing, as the issues are caused by the milk your body is making not coming out of the breast frequently or well enough. Not nursing will only make this worse. If you have an infection and require antibiotocs, those (and most medications) can be given while breastfeeding continues.

Plugged ducts and mastitis: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

Some out of the box ideas: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

Engorgement: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/engorgement/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; October 22nd, 2015 at 09:27 AM.

Thank you for the info! It turns out I have an abscess in my breast and she prescribed antibiotics but she did instruct me not to nurse. She did say though the medicine is compatible with nursing so idk if I should or not breast feed on my right breast? If I stop will it make it worse?

Why did she say stop? You need to move milk or it'll make it worse. Your milk isn't dangerous for baby. It won't make him sick or anything.

yeouch an abscess- too bad. Glad you saw your doctor! Ok, Yes I think you need clarity as to why Dr. is saying to not nurse. If she is concerned baby might get infected milk, this is typically not a concern, even with an abscess. It may help if she consults with a board certified lactation consultant.

If you do not nurse on that side, you must remove milk regularly another way.

more info: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/breast-abscess/

http://www.breastfeeding-problems.co...t-abscess.html
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; October 22nd, 2015 at 09:25 PM.