Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relacting after 5 weeks of not pumping or breastfeeding

Default Relacting after 5 weeks of not pumping or breastfeeding

I was wonder if there's anybody that has relactaed after 5 weeks of no breastfeeding or pumping .. My LO is 2 month now and latched on at birth .. I have been supplementing since birth as well .. I stopped breastfeeding and pumping because I honestly got lazy and comfy with just getting up and formula just being right there and I never produced no more then 2 ounce each boob ..now I want to try again because I see all the benefits of breastfeeding and it's free .. She does not latch on any more I even tried nipple shields and it's a no go .. I have been taking fengugreek , mothers milk tea , mothers more milk . My doctor even gave me reglan but I stop because it made me really Drowsy ... Anything u can think of. I have been taking for about 2 days now I pump every 2 hours or less 8 times a day ,. I have been getting just drops

Default Re: Relacting after 5 weeks of not pumping or breastfeeding

Welcome to the forum!

Getting drops after 5 weeks off is actually a really good sign. It means that your breasts are still in milk-making mode, and all you need to do is work at getting your supply to increase. It's going to take some time and effort, though! My LC said that it generally takes double the amount of time to regain supply as it did to lose it.

You're pumping with a terrific frequency, but if you can slip a few more sessions in every day it would be great. Do what you can, though- some days you might be able to do 10 sessions, other days it might be a struggle to do 8. Whatever. Anything is better than nothing!

What sort of pump are you using?

Thank you for replying ! You are giving me hope and I am using a medela in style advance and I pump both boobs at the same time and I use a pumping bra too ..

You might want to up your game and rent a hospital-grade pump. They typically deliver the maximum stimulation to and milk removal from the breast.

I keep hearing that and I was hoping to do it with out renting one but I see that I am going to have to do it ... But should I keep using the one have until I get the hospital grade one or am I just wasting time ?

No, the pump you have is a good one! You are not wasting your time. It's just that for a mom who is exclusively pumping and trying to rebuild supply, you want to use the best pump possible, and for most moms that means a hospital-grade rental.

Do you think I will always need the hospital grade or until my supply comes in ?

It's impossible to say. Too many different variables in play. For example, how well do you as an individual respond to pumping? Will your baby latch and nurse at some point? How will your respond to particular pumps? How often are you going to be able to pump, etc.?

If finances play into your decision, I can only say that from my experience that this is a decision you can make with your heart, not your head. You won't regret giving this your all, even if it doesn't work out the way you hope. No-one ever feels bad about trying their hardest and not succeeding, but we all feel bad when we fail because we didn't even try. KWIM?

That's true ... I will keep trying and see what happens .. At least I can say I tried everything even if it doesn't happen .. Do you think if I get a sns feeder that will help her latch on ? Since I know latching on will be the best thing .. Or is a sns only good when baby already knows how to latch on ?

I think an SNS is a great idea, but there are no guarantees that it will work. It's going to be a useful tool if your baby will latch and suck, but if your baby refuses to latch/suck at the breast, it's just going to hang there and disappoint you.

Before buying one, you might want to look up "homemade SNS" on Google, and simply try latching the baby on as often as possible. If she will latch, then you might want to consider using the SNS to incentivize her to stay on the breast and forgo bottles.