Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!!! Breast to Bottle. Need Infant back to Breast.

Angry Help!!! Breast to Bottle. Need Infant back to Breast.

Hello! I have 3 Children. My youngest will be 4 months old next week. About 2 weeks ago I had to give her a bottle because she was screaming uncontrollably and I had no milk coming out of my breasts, Not from a Pump, Not from my LO, Not from hand expression. I was stressed at the time with my Husband being gone and it got hard. So I had to supplement her with Similac Supplementing. Since then I had rebuilt my milk, I am only pumping 2-3 oz still but its better than 0 oz. When I try to get her back on the breasts she completely turns away like she is not interested. In the morning when she first wakes up she will latch and eat for a while until she realizes how hard it is then she quits and pretty much cries for a bottle. She loves my milk and isn't a fan of the formula but I'm only pumping so much. I was exclusively breastfeeding before. Someone please help me! Tips on how to get her back to the breast without allowing her to scream or to starve. I am worried that she likes the bottle more due to the faster flow of the nipple and the less work on her part. The Nurse after I had her did say she was a lazy nurser. I have tried to call Lactation Consultants from the Hospital I delivered at and she had said I needed to be seen at the Hospital where I live but they do not have a Lactation Consultant. So I'm at a loss of what to do at this point. Prior to the formula she had, She had only gained 2 lbs since birth. Thank yall so much for taking the time out of your day to read this and help me. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    A worried Mother who had failed with breastfeeding her two oldest children who doesn't want to fail again. -Kelcee

Default Re: Help!!! Breast to Bottle. Need Infant back to Breast.

I would suggest you are not failing, and did not fail with your older kids either. Mothers who wish to nurse their babies and do not are not failures, but rather, have themselves been failed by a society and medical care system that does not value breastfeeding enough to give those mothers the support and assistance they need.

Anyway, here is what I wonder.

Baby is 4 months old, and has gained 2 pounds since being born. This would typically be considered slow weight gain. But no one (pediatrician, etc.) suggested there might be a problem? Has weight gain been better since you started supplementing do you know?
    You started supplementing because you were stressed, but not because baby was gaining poorly? Or both? Or was baby being supplemented prior to two weeks ago? And what happened two weeks ago was a switch from breast to bottle, completely?
    When you say you currently pump 2-3 ounces, is that 2-3 per pump session? Or per day? If it is per session, how many times a day do you pump and how much do you get in a day? 2-3 ounces is a normal size meal and consequently, a normal amount to pump at a time.
    When baby is fed with the bottle, how much is baby getting each time and how often is baby fed? are you using paced feeding method? This is very important. If you have not been doing that, I suggest, start. Paced feeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

What I am trying to understand is if maybe there has always been a breastfeeding problem that went unnoticed. (perhaps, something that caused Baby to not nurse well, leading to poor weight gain and low milk production.) If your baby is not able to nurse efficiently, or your milk production is low, then you will need to continue to supplement while you work on that problem. Of course, you can at the same time work to get baby back to the breast. There is no reason you could not nurse while also supplementing as needed.

For getting baby back to the breast, Something that might work well in this case are instant reward techniques. This can mean giving baby a small amount (ounce of less) of milk in a bottle and then switching to the breast, or dribbling a little milk on your nipple, or expressing a little milk first, so it is on the nipple. Or some combo. Here are many ideas for encouraging nursing: http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/nb-...ack-to-breast/

I do think local help is important if there is some way to do that. Have you looked for local LLL groups?
    I would suggest call the one LC back and tell her there is no LC at your hospital and what would she suggest?
    Are there any private practice IBCLCs or breastfeeding clinics, anywhere near you?