Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactation After Completely Drying Up

Default Relactation After Completely Drying Up

I've been told and I've read I can relactate after drying up. I started trying to get my milk back about 2 weeks ago. I've been taking fenugreek and I've been drinking Mother's Milk tea. WIC let me borrow their electric pump which I've been using to pump every 2 to 3 hours. I'm completely dried up and haven't seen any drops since I started trying.

I guess I should take a step back. I breastfed my baby girl for about 5 weeks. There were a few times I didn't have enough milk for her. One night she was so hungry, I had to give her some ready-made formula that I had from the doctors office. That was about when she was 2 weeks old. I pumped and gave her formula for another 3 weeks. When she was at her 4 week appointment, her doctor detected blood in her poop. He told me I had to change my diet because she had an allergy to milk protein and soy protein. I got so frustrated and stressed, I just gave up breastfeeding by 5 weeks and switched to a special formula. My baby girl is now just over 5 months old. I'm completely dried up. I read it will take about a month before I even see anything.

I've done skin-to-skin. I've tried to get her to latch, but she ends up getting frustrated instead.Even when she's in a good mood. I pump all the time. I get these times where I'm so frustrated I'm not seeing any milk. I just need to know if I'm even able to get it back. I don't want to get the drug that kick starts my milk supply. I want to start it back up naturally. I really want it back. I miss giving her my milk.

Can I relactate after completely drying up? How long will it take before I see anything?
    Last edited by @llli*jessbeebe; October 4th, 2015 at 08:21 PM.

Default Re: Relactation After Completely Drying Up

I've never had to relactate but the key is to pump very frequently, at least 8-10 times a day. It doesn't have to be every such and such hours, it can just be when ever is easiest. Will baby latch at all? That will be even more stinulation. From my understanding, it might take a few weeks to get a few drops going. But those few drops are so precious and can still be given to your baby! Again, I've never had to do this but from previous threads, this is what I've gathered.

Also, boo on your doctor. Bloody stools in a healthy baby means nothing most of the time. Food allergies through breast milk are rare and have more symptoms than bloody stools. If baby is healthy, happy and growing then the odd bloody stool is likely nothing to worry about. Also, did you bring up the poop with your doctor or did they ask? Just curious.

Good luck mama! Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

Thank you so much! I'm switching doctors for her. As it turned out, I don't really like him all that much. She pooped during her checkup so he did a test on a strip. That's how he figured out the trace of blood. Even then he was questioning it because there wasn't very much. It didn't even show up blue like it should have.

Good advice from the PP.

I just want to throw in a hopefully encouraging story. Like you, my mom was given bad medical advice and forced to wean my little sister at just st 3 months old. She was not given the go-ahead to nurse again until my sister was 6 months old, by which point her milk was completely gone (this was the 80s, and my mom had no pump, no help, and no access to LLL or any other source of good advice on maintaining milk supply). But simply by putting my little sis to the breast before giving her formula bottles, my mom was able to relactate and she nursed my sister until 18 months.

You might want to look into using an at-the-breast supplementer (Medela Supplemental Nursing System, Lact-Aid). They can be tricky to adjust but if you can get your baby to use one, you can give her all her feedings at the breast rather than using bottles, and that may assist your milk production and should make your baby less frustrated when she is at the breast.

That is very encouraging! Thank you!

She finally latched for the first time tonight before giving her formula! I'm super excited about this! I did buy her a new bottle. This one has a nipple shaped like a human's nipple. I don't know if that made a difference or not. She didn't even get super upset.

Do you know how long it took your mom to relactate? I'm still not seeing anything.

I believe she said that it took about 3 months to get an adequate supply going.

Okay. Thank you!

Okay. So. Growing a little frustrated. I've been trying to about 5 weeks now to relactate and I'm still not getting anything. I've been pumping and trying to get that skin-to-skin time. I don't even have drops. I think I'm going to have to talk to somebody about the SNS.

I'm sorry the process hasn't been yielding the results you hoped for! But kudos to you for even trying it. Anyone who has ever spent a minute pumping knows how much dedication and effort you are pouring into this!