Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Uneven? Engorged on only 1 side

Default Uneven? Engorged on only 1 side

I am consistently engorged on 1 side, the other side has milk but feels to the touch empty. I am very aware of which side was nursed on last and alternate each feeding. But the 1 side is constantly engorged while the other feels empty. My son can eat on only the engorged side and be full (with left overs, I can still pump 1-2 ozs after he is off and full). While on the other side he eats that empty then half of the engorged side....

Is this normal?

Default Re: Uneven? Engorged on only 1 side

This is normal and common. Most moms have differences in supply between breasts. If it becomes problematic, for example if you become visibly lopsided no you don't like that look, you can even out the supply difference by offering the smaller breast more by starting feedings on that side more often. You can also pump the smaller side in addition to nursing on it.

May I ask why you are pumping the fuller breast? Pumping in addition to nursing is a great way to perpetuate oversupply issues, so if you have a breast that's having issues with being overful or engorged, you actually want to avoid pumping if possible.

Default Re: Uneven? Engorged on only 1 side

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This is normal and common. Most moms have differences in supply between breasts. If it becomes problematic, for example if you become visibly lopsided no you don't like that look, you can even out the supply difference by offering the smaller breast more by starting feedings on that side more often. You can also pump the smaller side in addition to nursing on it.

May I ask why you are pumping the fuller breast? Pumping in addition to nursing is a great way to perpetuate oversupply issues, so if you have a breast that's having issues with being overful or engorged, you actually want to avoid pumping if possible.

I am pumping because I am in extreme pain.