Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's Considered Poor Latch?

Exclamation What's Considered Poor Latch?

My LO is 8 weeks and she's been gaining weight 10lbs 10 oz was 7lbs 11oz at birth, but I still can't get her lower lip to uncurl and open more. I did see a lactation consultant and she helped me with latching issue.
    But I still can't get her to open wide enough. She'll slide down to the base of the nipple with her bottom lip.
    Any suggestions?

Default Re: What's Considered Poor Latch?

Does Maya Sol's latch cause you pain?

I ask because the real definition of a good latch is one that allows the baby to transfer milk effectively and is comfortable for the mother.

So if you feel okay and if she is gaining well, then maybe her latch is just fine.

OTOH, if you are having discomfort with that bottom lip rubbing on your nipple instead of milking the breast, then it needs to be corrected.

I agree and if it's just the lip curling, we still have that prob sometimes and I just uncurl it for her. If she is sliding down sometimes, I push her head in a little and hold it there. I don't fight her mind you, but I think sometimes she's just lazy.

I am glad to see you are still nursing. Good luck.

I don't feel any pain or soreness especially not what I felt at the beginning when I first started.
    I do see her getting milk from the corners of her mouth, swallowing sounds, and sometimes she's going so fast that she chokes but then keeps on going.
    I try to uncurl her lips and I've seen the video by Dr. Jack Newman I believe about latching.
    I'm going to keep it up and see if I can keep her from only staying at the base. Her mouth is so tiny that I can't get her to open really wide and if I do get her to open by the time I put her to the breast, she brings up her lower lip. Once she gets fussy I just let her nurse. I guess I cave in too soon to her.

maybe if you say something like open wide and then show her what you want her to do with her mouth she will catch on.
    I found that if we used a boppy pillow each time that helped with the slidding down, Do you have bigger breasts?
    this might help....
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/positioning....20the%20Basics