Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping in medical field

Default Pumping in medical field

I interviewed for a position as a patient care coordinator for an urgent care facility. If I get the job I will work 3 days (10 hour shift) per week. My baby is 5 months old and breastfeed. She will take a bottle with expressed milk perfectly.
    During the interview process I did not tell them I breastfeed, primarily because they can't ask personal information but can use information you voluntarily give to them against you. But with that if I get the position how do I inform them I need to pump? They don't even have set lunches just when it's slow they take turns. I'm very confused!!
    I've heard that I need to pump about when baby would nurse but I've also heard that it doesn't matter when you pump as long as you pump as many sessions as you would have missed. Like if she will miss 3 nursing sessions I could pump in morning before work at lunch and before bed.
    I will be exist let breastfeeding when at home and days off. I have heard some nurses say they do all their pumping in morning and at night that they don't have to pump at work but I'm so confused. I don't know when or. How to bring it up if I get the job. I don't want to end up quoting breastfeeding

Default Re: Pumping in medical field

It's none of their business prior to you getting the job, that's correct. After offering you the position it becomes their responsibility to accommodate per the law. You're doing the right thing by getting a plan together in advance - this way YOU control the situation.

Now onto the pumping theories, I've never seen those anywhere else. Rule of thumb is usually pump when the baby would otherwise be nursing. If baby usually nurses every 2 hrs, pumping every 3 would usually be ok, etc etc. So much of it is trial and error, but to be on the safe side I would definitely plan to pump on a regular schedule. Meetings happen, people call out, etc so of course sometimes you'll have to adapt, but if you make it a priority to maintain a schedule you'll probably fair much better. This also allows those you work with to anticipate how they need to work around you at those times. Know what I mean? It gives them something to expect rather than "Oh where is she now...?"

Another thing to consider is your individual storage capacity. You may begin to feel full after 3 hours, and you want to pump/nurse prior to that feeling. When you feel "full" your production slows down. Or, you may be able to go 5 hours without that feeling, so it would be ok to stretch the time between pumping.

So so much of it is individual and trial/error. Go in with a plan on the conservative side and if you find after a few weeks you can loosen up and relax a little then at least you won't have damaged your supply already.

(Apologies if my response was rambling.)

I am a social worker at a moderately sized hospital so I know what kind of environment you are talking about. I haven't gone back to work yet but my plan is to pump before work then again at 10:30 am and again at 2:00 pm. I typically leave work around 4:30 or 5:00 pm so I will feed the baby as soon as I get home. I'm lucky that the hospital is very breastfeeding friendly and has rooms dedicated to pumping but not everywhere is so accommodating. That would be a main concern if it were me bringing it up with a new employer. I would definitely look up the laws regarding breastfeeding in the workplace for your state and have that to refer to in the event it seems like they are going to balk at accommodating you. Definitely know what you are entitled to under the law.

I second having a plan in place for pumping at specific times throughout the day. Also, make absolutely sure that her care providers are familiar with paced feeding and the ounce-per-hour rule of thumb for breastfed babies. This will be crucial to maintaining your supply so that she isn't being overfed or fed too quickly while you're away, which can lead to supply issues, bottle preference, nursing strikes, etc. You only need about an ounce per hour that you're away, so if you work from 9-5 for instance, you would need 8 ounces at the most, and they should be proportioned into no more than 3 ounce bottles. So looking at kind of a typical schedule (just for an example):

6:30 - wake up, nurse baby
    8:30 - leave for work
    9:30 - baby has first bottle - 3 ounces; mom pumps
    12:30 - baby has second bottle - 3 ounces; mom pumps
    3:30 - baby has third bottle - 2 ounces; mom pumps
    5:30 arrive home from work, nurse baby

OR

6:30 - wake up, nurse baby
    8:30 - leave for work, nurse baby before leaving
    11:30 - baby has first bottle - 3 ounces; mom pumps
    2:30 - baby has second bottle - 3 ounces; mom pumps
    5:30 arrive home from work, nurse baby

^ see how you would need less milk in the latter situation if you nurse right before you leave and right when you get home?

Obviously you'd need to think about your particular hours, what time baby wakes up, what time you leave, etc to figure out what routine/schedule will work best for you. Good luck!

Thank you all. They called and I got the job and pumping at work is not a problem

What's paced feeding? Every time I have to go to appointment or leave baby I leave a 6 oz bottle and she drinks it up. She will spit up later on after is this why??? She's 5 months old 16+ lbs sleeps all night and bf ever 2-3 sometimes 4 hours

Congrats on getting the job!

Paced feeding: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/. There are also some good paced feeding videos online.