Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting sick

Default getting sick

Is nursing ok still if I were to get ill? I have school aged children and nasty coughs and the such are going around so I'm just wondering if I can continue nursing or if the worst happens like the flu. Sorry I didn't know where else to put this.

Default Re: getting sick

absolutely it is a-okay to continue breastfeeding... what's the alternative

Here's some reading for ya on this topic:

When Mom's sick...

Here's an exerpt from the above link:

During any "ordinary" illness such as a cold, sore throat, flu, tummy bug, fever, mastitis, etc. you should continue to breastfeed. Just remind your doctor you are nursing so that if medications are needed he can prescribe something that is compatible with breastfeeding. Most medications are safe to take while breastfeeding, and for those that are not recommended there is almost always an alternative medication that is safe.
    Here's a link to give more info on safe cold medications.

Another link for sick mamas and continuing bf'ing

When baby is sick...

Exerpt from above page:

Temporary weaning, besides depriving baby of antibodies to fight the illness and the most easily digestible food source available, can make life miserable for both mother and baby. Nursing is extremely comforting to an ill baby and a major part of the healing process. Mom would have to pump to maintain milk supply and then there would still be some risk that supply would drop somewhat. Not pumping would put mom at risk for breast infection and extreme discomfort.
    Hope this helps -
    but I hope more that you can avoid all the autumn & winter nasties! We're just getting over our first batch. Hopefully it'll be our last!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

my sister always tells me that when everyone else in her house is sick and she is nursing, the baby she is nursing doesn't seem to get sick or doesn't get nearly as sick. she says that you body makes anitibodies that get into the breastmilk to help baby not get sick. She is on her 4th EBF so i trust most of what she says. He kids have always been very healthy and she has gotten sick each time she was BF and they were ok. I would said definitely don't stop.

I agree with the PP. Nurse, Nurse, Nurse! The antibodies are so important to your baby. Be sure to stay hydrated too! If you need to treat your cold see the following link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

I hope you get better soon.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk