Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 months, started solids, thick poop

Default 6 months, started solids, thick poop

My 6 month old started solids 9 days ago. She had been constipated for 3 days so the doctor told me to give her a suppository. It worked quickly and she had a lot of thick poop almost like a peanut butter consistency. I called my doc and spoke to several different nurses about this but I get a different answer each time. I also can't find any good resources on this online. What do I need to change? Do I need to change anything? Should she be getting more fluids?
    In regards to solids she's been getting about 2-3 tablespoons each day with 1/2-1 tbs of oatmeal cereal each time.
    She hates bottles and refused to take one for me or her father. She'll only take one for the sitter. I've tried water and an apple juice mixture but she reuses both. Should I have the sitter water down my breastmilk?
    Any suggestions? Has anyone else been through this? What was your solution?

Default Re: 6 months, started solids, thick poop

In regards to solids she's been getting about 2-3 tablespoons each day with 1/2-1 tbs of oatmeal cereal each time
    Did you skip a word there? What is the 2-3 Ts of? Or did you mean 2-3 meals?

I would suggest try giving baby something aside from a cereal. There is 0 evidence that cereals of any kind "should" be a baby's first food. Solids at this age are for learning to eat, not for nutrition. Try fruits first would be my suggestion. And back it down to maybe once a day. Some babies have a much harder time digesting solids and so they have to go much slower with them.

Breast milk is the superior way to hydrate a baby. So encourage baby to nurse more maybe? Avoid apple juice or ANY juice. Juice is not appropriate for a baby this age. And no, do not have sitter water down your milk. If baby really needs more liquid, make it straight water and tiny sips at a time when eating solids- any other time, baby should be encouraged to nurse (assuming you are home.) You do not want baby filling up/regularly quenching thirst with on juice or water, because that may cause baby to nurse less.

When babies start solids, their poop changes. To some extent this is entirely normal, and the peanut butter like poops sounds normal for a breastfed baby (or mostly breastfed baby) who has not gone poop for a few days. When you say baby was constipated, do you mean baby was straining to go? Or just had not gone poop?
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; September 9th, 2015 at 01:56 AM.

Default Re: 6 months, started solids, thick poop

There is no reason to go quickly with solids from what I'm seeing with your post. My baby is 7.5 months, almost 8, and my husband is going quickly, and I'm trying to rein him in as I don't see any reason to introduce everything immediately. We did introduce solids when she seemed ready, and we sub solids for formula as much as we can at day care (I have trouble pumping enough). She has gone through a couple of bouts of constipation, where her poop was hard and she was straining and extremely uncomfortable one day . . but it doesn't sound like your baby was all that constipated unless I'm missing something. Breastfed babies can go several days without pooping once they are past the newborn stage. If she was really constipated and you want to deal with it with different solids, avoid rice cereal, bananas, and apples (all can be constipating). Prunes, peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines, are all good fruits to try. The only water our baby gets is with solids--she gets a few drinks out of an open cup--but otherwise we nurse.
    Last edited by @llli*dormir41; September 9th, 2015 at 06:45 AM.
    & working mom of one sweet baby girl