Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feedings are spacing out and it scares me

Default Feedings are spacing out and it scares me

Hi!
    I'm a FTM to a 3-month-old girl who was born at 34 weeks. Her adjusted age is 9 weeks. I went back to work 2 weeks ago and starting this week she is in full-time child care, staying with a babysitter in her home. She is ebf and has 4 poopy diapers and 8-10 wet diapers a day. She has been gaining weight well since birth but our doctor appointments are far apart now and she hasn't been weighed since mid-August.

My concern is that she is really starting to space out her feedings ever since I went back to work. She eats only every 3-4 hours during the day, when she will take 2-3 ounces of breast milk via a bottle. Sometimes she will be fussy and cluster for a couple of hours in the evening when we first get home, but then she'll only wake up once during the night (usually will sleep from 10 p.m.-2 a.m., nurse one side, then continue sleeping until I have to get up at 5:45). This ends up being 3-4 bottles and 5 nursing sessions (if you count the occasional cluster as one long feed). Does that sound right? She ate every 90 minutes for the first 3 months, and she is still so small--9 pounds; still wearing Newborn clothes. I know some people will tell me I should be happy she's sleeping so much at night but since she was born at >3 pounds I am conditioned to be anxious about her growth! Our next doctor appointment isn't for 2+ weeks and I am looking for ways to feel okay about this new "schedule." It seems too soon!

Anyone else have a preemie that spaced out this soon?

Default Re: Feedings are spacing out and it scares me

Babies often dramatically change their feeding patterns starting at about 3 months, and this change is often temporary but sometimes continues as the "new normal." This is detailed and explained very well in the book My Child Won't Eat in the section "Crisis at 3 months." (the "crisis" is imagined, not real, as this behavior change is usually entirely normal and not a problem as long as baby continues to gain normally- and weight gain rate ALSO tends to normally slow measurable starting at about 3 months. Whether this pattern that is usually normal would be a problem with a late pre-term baby I do not know.

But one thing concerns me. If she is only eating every 3-4 hours while you are at work, how is that adding up to 3-4 bottles per day? How many hours are you separated from baby each day? Are you able to pump often enough?

My concern would be if baby is getting overfed while you are at work- the individual amounts (2-3 ounces per bottle) sound fine, but I am still unclear how much baby is getting overall while you are at work and how long that daily separation is. Overfeeding when mom is at work can have a very detrimental effect on the child's nursing behavior and moms milk production.

Otherwise, as long as baby is being offered to nurse/has the opportunity to nurse day and night, and is gaining normally, then these changes may well be fine and normal. If you are concerned, can't you visit the doctor just for a weight check? You want to have baby weighed on the exact same scale as previously. If baby is pooping daily, that is a good sign all is fine.

Also think about if there is anything going on that may make a baby (or mom) miss hunger cues overnight. Baby sleeping in a separate room from where mom is, Swaddling baby for sleep, and a nighttime pacifier are all things that may cause missed cues.

Default Re: Feedings are spacing out and it scares me

Thanks for replying!

To answer your questions, I drop baby off at 8 and pick her up at 5:45. I try to nurse right before we get in the car each way. She usually gets a bottle mid-morning, midday, and late afternoon, but sometimes if she was too sleepy in the morning to nurse well, she needs one right after I drop her off too. Accordingly, I pump three times at work and so far my production is just fine. We co-sleep--I'm usually holding her on my chest or she's right next to me; no swaddle or pacifier.
    You're probably right that it's normal, but I might take her to the doctor just to get weighed as you suggest to give me some peace of mind.