Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply

Default Low milk supply

My baby is 6 weeks old and I have been struggling with low milk supply since birth. I have been trying to get my baby to suck through to a second let down (which seems like it takes forever and he usually ends up falling asleep) in hopes that it will help stimulate more milk production. But would it be better to take a break and just feed him more often?

Default Re: Low milk supply

Generally speaking, milk production depends on milk being removed from the breasts frequently and effectively. Frequently would mean a minimum of 8-12 times in 24 hours. Effectively would be, enough so the breasts know to respond by making more milk. People often say "empty" the breasts, but this is not really possible. However, in some cases, if baby is not nursing with normal effectiveness, pumping after nursing for several minutes is suggested. But this has much more to so with the effectiveness of the nursing session - how well baby can transfer milk- than the length of the nursing session.
    So, how frequently is baby nursing now? -how many times in 24 hours? Did someone tell you he has to nurse "through to a second letdown?" How are you measuring that...do you feel all letdowns? Not all moms do...
    When you say you are struggling with low milk production, can you tell us how this was diagnosed and by whom?
    If you do not make enough milk, baby must be getting supplements. How often, how much, and how is baby being fed these supplements?
    And what is baby's weight gain history?

This is an excellent article on low milk production concerns. http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/low-supply/