Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wait til after move to night wean?

Default Wait til after move to night wean?

Hello all! I would like to nightwean my 19 month old and move her to her own bed and room ASAP. Right now I share a bed with her while my husband sleeps in another room so he gets rest before work (LO very much disrupts both our sleep with movement, nursing, and waking in the middle of the night). However, we are also moving to a new house within the next month.

Soooo... I have no idea what order to do this all in. I plan to BF until she's two but hubby and I both desperately need our sleep back (and would like to share a room again!). But there's a lot of transition right now. Any advice on how to proceed? She's very attached to the boob and needs it to fall asleep for her nap and at bedtime, though has fallen asleep in the car and with hubby on her own before. TIA!

Default Re: Wait til after move to night wean?

Do it AFTER the move is my suggestion. At least 1 or 2 months after, or at least a few weeks after you all feel "settled". Here is why I suggest this:

If you transition her now and it actually works and goes smoothly, and she sleeps peacefully for long period in her own room, that scenario may be completely blown apart by the move to unfamiliar surroundings. If you transition her now and it does not go smoothly, you and your husband will be far more tired while doing this move.

Night weaning/no longer bedsharing does not necessarily mean a child sleeps any longer. In fact, it often means the opposite. It just depends.

Thank you for the reply! I didn't even think about us being even more tired if it doesn't go smoothly - very good point.

You are welcome. I have yet to have to move house with babies or young kids. But I have moved house very many times in my life and know how stressful it can be! Good luck.