Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not Sure if my 3 day old is peeing?

Default Not Sure if my 3 day old is peeing?

Our baby girl has been doing pretty well with breastfeeding so far. She was born late thursday night. Friday morning she had a big poop and Friday evening she had her first big wet pee. Yesterday, she had 2 pee diapers and 1 or 2 poops. Today she has had at least 4 poopie diapers but I don't know if she's peed at all! I don't know if we maybe missed it with all the poop. But I am starting to worry.

Other than that she is eating well. She has a good latch and I feed her about 40-50 mins every 3 hours. She's not fussy & seems very calm. When she's alert she seems great too.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Not Sure if my 3 day old is peeing?

You can just leave off the diaper and wrap her in a cotton blanket, old t-shirt, or old-fashioned flat cloth diaper. You'll notice if she pees.

Or you could place a bit of toilet paper in the front part of the diaper where the pee would end up at

What kinds of diapers are you using? I like the Pampers Swaddlers - they have a yellow line that turns blue/green when the diaper is wet. It's a lot easier to tell with a boy than a girl for pee I'm guessing because it's all up front, but my son's diapers are always thick/heavy with pee. It's a different texture than the area where the poop is.

What Midnightsangel said! Just tuck a square of tissue paper or toilet paper in front of her vulva. It will be visibly wet when she pees. And FTR, most poop diapers also include pee. So if your baby is pooping enough, she's likely also peeing enough.

I switched back to the Pampers (was using honest) and got 2 pees + poops since! thanks everyone!