Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hi... a quick question

Default Hi... a quick question

Hi, this is my first post and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right or if this is in the right place. I am almost seven months pregnant and my husband and I have decided that we definatly would like to breast feed our child. So here is my question, I was only able to nurse my first child for two weeks. I had an infection and she had thrush and it was just painful for both of us. Is there anything that I can do to help prevent this from happening this time round? I really want to nurse for about a year this time and I am starting to get nervous about being able to. I was told after my production had completly gone down that there might have been medication or that pumping could have helped? Has anyone heard of this?
    Thanks in advance for the advice,
    Christine

Default Re: Hi... a quick question

First let me say congratulations on your upcoming baby, wanting to try and breastfeed again, and for finding this web-board - It has definately saved my breastfeeding relationship with my son and I have learned so much!

What I would like to say first is your willingness and desire to breastfeed is half the battle. I welcome a correction, but I am not sure there is anyway to prevent thrush. You know, the standards of frequent hand washing etc... can be practiced, but in the long run it may return regardless. Stick around and read up on thrush, and other things in the newborn section and hopefully your experience this time will go more smoothly!!!
    Regarding medication and supply, there are such things, but if in the beginning you can nurse as often as humanly possible, there should be no troubles *crossing fingers*. As far as pumping goes, I can't attest to weather this would help or not as my only experience with pumping caused a different problem for us, oversupply! Thats not fun either!

Good luck - and stick around!!!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I posted... But it disappeared???

Welcome to the board though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    I posted... But it disappeared???

Welcome to the board though!

it didn't dissapear mama - it's on the other thread w/ the same name -
    maybe we can get the two posts merged into one!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My best advice to you is try to educate yourself a bit about some of the possible challenges you may face (this forum is a good place to do that), then take the bumps in the road as they come. Your determination is what will get you through along with some good support. Do you have a LLL group in your area you can begin to attend now? That has been a huge help to me.

Hi there- good for you for trying to figure out a solution now! You're doing a great job! Keep it up in the months to come!

The previous posters are right- determination helps a lot when it comes to continuing to nurse. Those first few weeks especially are SO hard, let alone having thrush. Having gone through lots of problems with thrush, I can understand how difficult it is. I'm free out it right now, but it was a long battle. There are many treatments to help with thrush. If you do get it again, maybe there are some things to try that will help you that you didn't try last time. Or maybe you won't get it (I hope). Its hard to tell, of course. I do know of one thing that you may want to look into, or that you may already know about. Probiotics, such as acidophilus, are good for maintaining the healthy intestinal flora. When that flora gets out of balance, you get yeast issues (like thrush). You could look into taking it now, so that you have that extra insurance against the thrush. Some people say that eating lots of yogurt (plain, with active cultures) helps the same way. The probiotics would have more cultures in it. Taking a probiotic has helped me a lot with thrush, and others on this board. Worth looking into.

If you do get thrush, come back here for support, there is lots of great info on it and we can all help you work towards a solution. I hope you don't have to go there, but we're here for you if you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    it didn't dissapear mama - it's on the other thread w/ the same name -
    maybe we can get the two posts merged into one!
    Hahaha! noticed this earlier and forgot to mention it!