Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my baby not eating enough?

Default Is my baby not eating enough?

My baby boy is going to be one month in few days, and what conserns me is that he wakes up every 1.5hr-2hrs to feed.
    His weight is 4.4kg and he only nurses for 10 minutes and then falls asleep, I have to attempt to wake him up and if I'm lucky he would have another 20-40ml milk from the bottle which I have to express after each feed since I have no other choice.
    What concerns me is that he doesn't eat as much as the chart says he should at this stage and according to his weight.
    Is there anything I can do? Because I want him to nurse longer and have only breast rather then a bottle.
    And how can I keep him awake so he can have at least 80-90ml ? Maybe he would sleep longer.

Please advice

Default Re: Is my baby not eating enough?

Hi and welcome.

It is entirely normal for a 4 week old baby to nurse as often as you describe. So if your ONLY concern is the frequency with which baby nurses, please be assured that is normal frequency. If you mean baby nurses more than 12 times in 24 hours, then yes, for a one month old, that may indeed by slightly more frequent than many other one month olds, but still probably nothing outside of normal, assuming weight gain is normal (without needing to supplement.)

There are a couple ways to try to keep baby active at the breast for longer. One is breast compressions, and the other is switching sides. Both can be tried whenever baby starts to "slow down." But, there is no reason to think a baby must get 80-90 mils per session every time or even most of the time, unless baby is gaining poorly. A normal, healthy baby who is not experiencing breastfeeding problems is going to nurse as long as they need and get as much as they need, and that will vary nursing session to nursing session.

If weight gain is a concern, Can you possibly post a complete weight history from birth, and explain when you started supplementing? There is no one specific weight a one month old should be, so knowing baby's weight now is not enough information.

How many times in 24 hours does your baby nurse? Is baby always sleeping if not eating?
    and if I'm lucky he would have another 20-40ml milk from the bottle which I have to express after each feed since I have no other choice.
    Did a doctor instruct you to supplement baby with a bottle due to poor gain or some other reason? How many times a day is baby supplemented? If baby needs supplementing in order to gain weight normally, then supplementing is appropriate. However, supplementing will not solve whatever the underlying breastfeeding problem is that is causing baby to not get enough milk just from nursing. Are you able to get breastfeeding assistance where you live to help you figure out if baby is having difficulty transferring milk for some reason? Life will feel much more manageable if you could stop the extra work of pumping and supplementing, even with a baby who nurses lots.

What concerns me is that he doesn't eat as much as the chart says he should at this stage and according to his weight.
    What chart? is this something that is online? normal nursing frequency varies baby to baby, although is usually in the ball park of between 8 and 12 times in 24 hours during the newborn period. Also, a baby's current weight is irrelevant to how often a baby would need to eat, or how much at a time.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; August 28th, 2015 at 12:24 AM.

Default Re: Is my baby not eating enough?

with the excellent advice from the PP. I just want to mention that my kids nursed at least 12 times in a 24 hour period throughout the first year. It was just what worked for them!