Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really truly no milk

Default Really truly no milk

Dear wise le leche gurus.... I'm hoping you can help but, well, I'm not holding my breath....

First baby was born at 35 weeks, vaginal birth, epidural, ventouse due to position.

We started nursing as soon as he came off cpap--within 24h--and I also started pumping using a medela symphony.

10 days later, we are finally home, and I still get a max of 20ml a day from pumping.

I take fenugreek (4 days now, 3500g/day), and domperidone (3days since I started, 30g x3/day).

We put baby on the breast-10 min each side- x7 a day, but then supplement with formula so he actually gets some nourishment. Baby latches great, sucks well, but never seems to swallow... Because there's so little coming out I'm guessing-- although I do find drops of milk in baby's mouth after nursing.

I then pump after each feed for 20 minutes using medela symphony.... I'm getting a max of 20ml a day.

Am i one of the few who really doesn't have any milk or is there hope?
    (Please say there's hope.... I'm running out if it)

Default Re: Really truly no milk

Are you under the care of a lactation consultant? (IBCLC?) Has she taken a full medical/developmental history and examined you, as well as watching nursing sessions etc? The cause of low milk production is often a puzzle and a professional with the proper training and experience may be able to help you piece it together.

Are you sure your pump flanges fit correctly on both sides? How are your breasts feeling? Any changes at all, during pregnancy or post partum?

Have you tried adding hand expression to the pumping?

There is some milk- your baby appears to be getting some unknown amount when nursing, (Swallowing can be very subtle) and you are pumping something as well, even after baby has nursed. milk production typically starts off with very very little the first few days, and then increases, with proper breastfeeding management. Proper breastfeeding management simply means very frequent, effective milk removal. It sounds like right now, milk is only being removed 7 times in 24 hours. Has this always been the case? Because that is not as much as would be typically needed.

Is there a medical reason baby is being nursed so infrequently and time limited when nursing? A baby who is a week or two old can be expected to nurse 10-12 times OR MORE each day, and for much longer than 10 minutes per side typically. Frequent, unlimited nursing sessions are needed for normal milk production. Of course, some babies do need supplement, but supplements can be given before, during or after nursing. There is rarely a need to limit the time baby nurses, except as needed to make sure baby gets some supplement. Many babies are supplemented as needed with no limit placed on time at the breast. If you are only removing milk 7 times a day, that may not be enough to maximize your potential milk production.

I suggest the book Making More Milk.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; August 26th, 2015 at 08:58 PM.