Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 week old constant nurser...ready to give up

Default 10 week old constant nurser...ready to give up

My 10 week old and I have had a rough start to nursing. He had a tongue tie snipped at 7 days old and lasered at 5 weeks which helped him a lot especially with weight gain. He now transfers milk well in a short period of time per a Lactation consultant, and is gaining 1 oz a day on average. He sleeps ok at night, getting up 2-3 times. The issue is he is miserable all day long every day. If he isn't nursing, he is screaming at the top of his lungs. He refuses to nap unless swaddled in his swing and that has only worked about 5 times ever in his life so he's only getting 8-9 hours of sleep in 24 hours. He nurses from the time he wakes up till he goes to sleep (7am-9pm) and refuses every pacifier I've tried. I have a moby carrier and he screams in that too.

I suspected silent reflux or food allergies at first. I haven't had dairy in 5 weeks and elimated gluten, soy, eggs, spicy, citrus, berries, coffee 2 weeks ago (basically eating chicken, rice, oatmeal, pear, and nothing else) with no change in his behavior. Zantac did nothing after 2 weeks either.

Main Problem:
    He screams unless nursing and does not stop
    Nurses/sucks constantly with no breaks all day long
    Refuses pacifiers
    Refuses to nap
    Mucousy poops
    Sounds congested at times
    Will be happy 20 min after eating but then starts screaming
    Spits up 2-3 times a day

I'm thinking of switching to an allergen formula like alimentum for a few days and pumping while doing so to see if it helps. I have a 3 year old, and with his high needs she is getting very limited attention and anytime we try to go anywhere he screams the whole time.

Any thoughts or suggestions? All I can think is colic or maybe a corn intolerance which is hard to eliminate in your diet.

Default Re: 10 week old constant nurser...ready to give up

A baby who will not settle to sleep, even for short periods, even when held upright, even when nursing to sleep, is certainly concerning. But I do not understand why what your baby eats is necessarily considered the root of the problem. You have eliminated the potential issues, with no result. To me that indicates the issues has nothing to do with your milk. What does your pediatrician say? Have you talked to your LC about this? I assume forceful letdown/overproduction has been ruled out?

If eliminating dairy and soy from your diet did nothing, then why do you think a dairy and soy free formula, which is designed as an alternative to formula made with dairy and soy, and not as an alternative to breastmilk, will help? If your child is high needs, which is a personality (theory) and not a medical condition, then formula and bottles is not going to do anything about that either. It will just take away your most effective comforting tool.

Not breastfeeding your infant because your 3 year old needs more attention? Surely there is a better way. A new sibling means less parental attention for the older child, every time, no exceptions. This is the price we all pay to have siblings. Yet somehow we are all fine.

Not taking a pacifier is frustrating, but does not indicate a problem. Lots of babies refuse pacifiers.

Of course, you could try the alimentum. But please do not assume your baby will return to the breast after being bottle fed, or that it is easy to maintain normal milk production when eping. Switching to formula for even a short period of time may mean the end of breastfeeding, so be prepared for that.

Be aware there are other reasons that formula may seem to 'help' than the actual formula being better for your baby. Maybe you have a fast letdown, or OP, causing some issues, If you bottle feed, the issues may go away, but FFLD is something that is solvable while nursing. Also, as a baby ages, these behavioral issues usually improve anyway. So what may appear to be improvement due to the formula may only be coincidence. Also, it is interesting that studies have been done on this and show that when parents switch formulas due to a concern about allergies, many THINK things are better when actually they are not. It's called the placebo effect. This is why the AAP specifically warns parents - both formula feeding and breastfeeding- that expensive hypoallergenic formulas are not required but for the rarest of circumstances.

That is so tough. My 1st child was like that. Thankfully he loved his moby wrap but otherwise he was the same with the constant nursing and screaming. I have not much advice. I just want to reassure you and say my baby got much better at around 12 weeks. Also have you tried putting the vacume cleaner on? I tried it in desperation one night and the noise really calmed him down. We ran the vacume every nap for a year with that boy. Worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katy77 View Post
    That is so tough. My 1st child was like that. Thankfully he loved his moby wrap but otherwise he was the same with the constant nursing and screaming. I have not much advice. I just want to reassure you and say my baby got much better at around 12 weeks. Also have you tried putting the vacume cleaner on? I tried it in desperation one night and the noise really calmed him down. We ran the vacume every nap for a year with that boy. Worth a shot.
    Thank you...that gives me hope he might turn the corner soon. I'll give the vacuum a try and see if he likes it and will nap.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nealejes View Post
    Mucousy poops
    I'm so sorry to hear you going through this tough time. One of the things I came across while performing research when I was pregnant I found a visual guide to baby poop. At first I thought it was rather funny, but it did help me to know what to expect when checking out my son's diapers. (Being a first time mom makes you research a few things you'd never really think about until you see it).

One of the things they mentioned was mucus in the stool. It isn't supposed to be there, and could be a sign that something is amiss. I really suggest you make an appointment with your pediatrician, explain the situation and describe in detail what you're seeing in the diapers, and have him/her give you a diagnosis if possible.

Just in case, here is a link to the guide I mentioned earlier. If nothing else, it might serve as a helpful guide. Thanks to it, I wasn't surprised to see green poop the first time I changed my son's diaper.

I really do hope you can solve this. I know it feels frustrating, and it might even make you upset because you would like to spend time with your other child. However, try to remember there isn't a "perfect baby". This is just one of the things that happen, and it will soon pass. Seek out the correct assistance (I recommend the pediatrician), and you'll see how this all gets sorted out and everything can return to normal. Best of wishes all the way from Puerto Rico!