Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please please please help - nursing strike

Default Re: Please please please help - nursing strike

True! There are other resources on the LLL page - but some of those stories were a downer!

Day 7; still nothing. I'm going to talk to him about it more. I think we need to call a lactation consultant as well. His aversion is so strong, he won't put the nipple in his mouth. He might poke it now and then, but that's it. He wants the milk like crazy, though. I always have to stop part way through pumping and pour the milk from the bottle into his mouth.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years & DS (08/19/14) still going!

Just checking in on you and your lil one. Hope you had success and have a breastfeeding baby again! My little guy finally latched on this morning! I sat him on my lap and said we are going to talk about this and get it done and he latched and then latched again at nap time! Hoping you have success and don't give up!!

Congrats! Nothing for us yet. He rested his head on my breast today, which is huge. I've just been showing it to him and pointing to my nipple and then his mouth and back and forth. No crying at the breast this way! I'm trying to see the positive even though it has been so so long.

Nothing I still want to think he'll latch on again, but I'm starting to accept that I'm just going to have to pump may way to the end of this relationship.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years & DS (08/19/14) still going!

I am in he same position day 1 of a strike after he bit me bc he is teething. I am so emotional and heartbroken. I have to give bottles bc I work full time so I know he's eating and I'm pumping enough but I am so sad... I keep crying please give me some hope!!

My son isn't back on yet If I officially offer, he cries and screams and crawls away. I had him sleeping in my arms in the cradle position the other day, and I put my nipple right by his mouth. He didn't do a thing. I really thought that automatic reflex would kick in - but nothing. I even opened his lips a bit... nothing.

It's been 3 weeks. I really think he has forgotten. I know he is 12 months, and many think that it's ok to give in to the strike, but I had just expected to nurse for this entire year as well.

Don't lose hope! He had a shorter strike before and went right back without any issue. I know it's possible!

Curious where you're at now. My story sounds like a mix between yours and boysmomma. After a 5-day trip without my daughter, she absolutely refuses to latch and typically kicks up an almighty fuss about my nipple being anywhere near her mouth. I've been home for about 2.5 weeks now, with no improvement. I'm pumping, but not sure how much longer I can keep it up. It's a serious pain. She'll be one next week, so we'll see what happens from there. I nursed my older child until 21 months, so I was definitely not expecting her to wean any time soon!

Hi there! I just want to let you know that my son and I survived a strike that lasted 3 MONTHS. He would only feed in his sleep during that time, and wouldn't take a bottle. It was scary.

I hope it doesn't last that long for you, and I wish I could help you identify the cause, but I just want to offer some encouragement and let you know that even after three months, my baby never forgot how to latch. And he loves to nurse, now!! I think one of the most harmful things during a strike is to try and force them to nurse or to show how upset you are. I think you are doing a great job, and you will get through this!