Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow weight gain 1 week old

Default Slow weight gain 1 week old

My son was born 6lbs8oz
    His lowest weigh was 5lbs10oz

He was tongue and lip tied and we got them lasered immediately at 3 days old and now his latch is way better

In the next 48 hours he got back to 6lbs by 5 days old

He's now 10 days old and is still 6lbs. Is that normal to have not gained at all over 5 days?

He has a minimum of quarter size poops 8-10 times a day. And pees in each of those diapers as well

During the day he's still a sleepy baby and I wake him every 2-3 hours to feed. At night he wakes himself every 3 hours to feed

He feeds on one side and I keep him awake and do breast Compressions to help him empty it. Then I burp him to help him wake up and then offer the second side and he falls into a deep sleep about halfway through

Default Re: Slow weight gain 1 week old

Has he been weighed on the exact same scale and either nude or in a dry disposable diaper? Scale error is more common than many think. Some mommas have reported different scales giving extra pounds! If this has no been the case, try to get him weighed on the same scale from now on.

Have you tried nursing more odten? 2-3 hrs is kind of long for a brand newborn. Many eat hourly. I wonder if he's little sleepy and isn't giving strong hunger cues. If he's not hungry he won't eat so don't worry about over feeding

Wow you guys have already been through a lot in one week. I'm glad to see you had the revisions done. Have you had time to get in or think about some bodywork? Chiropractic care and/or Cranial Sacral Therapy is really important to completely resolve tie issues. Babies start sucking in uetero. With the ties they have restrictions so they suck a certain way with certain muscles. Even after revision, those habits are still there. Bodywork helps to loosen those muscles so that the baby can learn how to use those muscles correctly. When they're using the muscles incorrectly it takes a lot of extra energy. It could be one reason why he's sleepy.
    Doing breast compressions is a good idea. I'm glad you're doing that. Another thing you could do is strip him down to just his diaper to get him good and awake. That'll give you more chance to do some skin to skin time.

He's now 10 days old and is still 6lbs. Is that normal to have not gained at all over 5 days?
    No, once an infant starts gaining, *after the expected initial loss of weight) they should keep gaining. However, it is common for a baby to not regain birth weight until a couple weeks after they are born.
    He has a minimum of quarter size poops 8-10 times a day. And pees in each of those diapers as well
    when you say 'quarter size" do you mean it is a plop of very moist or wet poop you could scoop up with a spoon? Or just a streak in the diaper? What color is the poop now? If it is usually mostly yellow, at what day of life did they transition?

If baby is really pooping "OK" sized poops more than 5 times a day, baby should be gaining, and in that case I also would suspect scale error- and weight checks done on different scales often do cause measurement errors, no matter how good the scales are. But you will need to make sure.

I agree, at least until you are sure weight gain is on track, see if baby will nurse more often, this can never hurt. And hold baby lots, skin to skin when that is comfortable. Keep doing compressions, and see if baby will take both sides at more feedings. If it turns out baby is really not gaining normally, I suggest see an IBCLC for a complete in person consult asap.