Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: solid foods before 6 mths?

Default solid foods before 6 mths?

In Canada they are now saying that an infant requires only breastmilk until 6 months.

My 4 and a half month old son nurses often, every 1 1/2 to 2 hours, even throughout the night. I try to hold him off for 2 hours, but that is sometimes a chore. He just always seems hungry.

I'm starting to wonder if he needds solids.

Help.

Default Re: solid foods before 6 mths?

He does NOT need solids. Current research shows that there are only risks and no benifits to early introduction of solids.

Why are you trying to hold him off to every 2 hours? It is totally normal and healthy for a baby to nurse every hour. Ds did this until he was 5 mo, and some days he still nurses every hour at 10.5 mo. There are no benifits to the baby and only risks assocated with schedual feeding; it is the very best thing for your baby and for your milk supply to feed the baby whenever he is hungry.

Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to hold him off to 2 hours because he vomits/spits up so much if he drinks more often, which then makes him want to drink again. He used to feed every hour (from 2 to 3 months of age) and was only getting foremilk (his poop was green for about a month). Once I spoke to my midwife and discovered that feeding so often may the problem his poop became normal again once I spaced out the feeding to 1.5 to 2 hours.

I have read information about waiting until 6 months to eat solids, and I did agree but he just seems so hungry all the time that I'm starting to question it. I don't want to start feeding every hour again because of our past history.

Smile Re: solid foods before 6 mths?

Sorry, one more thing.

I also have a 10 yr old who I successfully breastfed for almost 2 years.

I also had foremilk hindmilk imballance. No one suggested stretching out his feedings...what was suggested (and it worked) was block feeding. Nurse the baby on one breast only for 2 or more feedings in a row, then switch. In extreeme cases, some moms have one breast for daytime and one for nighttime, but I never had to go to such lengths. I just nursed on one breast for about 2-3 hours, then switched to the other for the next 2-3 hours.

I think your midwife just gave you outdated info. The current research shows just the opposite: frequent feedings keep the breast emptier and the emptier the breast the more fatty the milk (hindmilk). As explained here: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html
    The degree of emptiness of the breast is what research has shown to drive breastmilk fat content, and thus calorie content. The fuller the breast, the lower the fat content of the milk; The emptier the breast, the higher the fat content of the milk (Daly 1993). ...

FULL Breast = LOWER Fat Content & SLOWER Milk Production

EMPTY Breast = HIGHER Fat Content & FASTER Milk Production
    I think breastcompressions would also help, since that would get him more milk, more fat content in the milk, and help him go longer btwn feedings. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

We did breast compressions and still do them sometimes and they are probably the most helpful thing I ever learned about bf!
    Last edited by Feorsteorra; March 2nd, 2006 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan and Justin's mom
    I also have a 10 yr old who I successfully breastfed for almost 2 years.
    Awesome! Congrats on that great accomplishment. I only have the one baby so far and it is my goal to bf him until he is at least 2 years. We really have had our share of struggles; maybe the next baby will be easier for me!

Hi there!

Sounds like you and ds are doing fine! This is a very normal pattern for a baby possibly going through a growth spurt. Instead of limiting his feedings maybe you could try this:

If you feel he needs to nurse more frequently (which he may need to do to increase milk supply during a growth spurt, or for other reasons ) then you can offer the same breast to him again. That would eliminate him getting more foremilk from the second breast and having his green poops. Many moms find great success with this-called "block feeding". So instead of limiting WHEN he nurses (as only he knows what he needs) you can limit what kind of milk he is getting. Most moms will start with this strategy: anytime db needs to nurse in a 2 hour time period (whether it is once, twice or 5 times) only offer the left side. Then the next two hour time period you can only offer the right side. Etc. This is sort of like what your midwife suggested.

HTH!

Thanks for all the great advice.

I do practise block feeding. If he really needs to feed again before the 1.5 to 2 hours I continue to feed from the last breast.

If block feeding for two hours doesn't work, then you can increase the time to three hours, three and a half hours, or four hours until you find the block of time that works best for your baby. Be sure to watch wet and dirty diapers when changing your nursing pattern. Going more than four hours may have an impact on supply, so be careful if you get that far!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Smile Re: solid foods before 6 mths?

I know this won;t be the over-popular opinion - but here it is anyway

My dd was similar - sleeping so little I thought I was going to loose my mind. I was breastfeeding on demand - but then a friend who nursed gave me invaluable advice when dd was about 2 1/2 months old.

She told me to give her 1 tablespoon single grain rice cereal at night, about 2 hours before bed - and not to expect anything for a few nights. Well let me just say we went from 2 hrs at a time to 8-10 hrs. Amazing. I reccomend it. As for the rest of table food - we won't be introducing it until she can sit on her own.

Also, something that helped with the spitting and gas was "Gripe Water" - sooooo worth it. Gets rid of gas too - let's them sleep

Good luck!