Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rapid weaning for toddler while pregnant?

Default Rapid weaning for toddler while pregnant?

My situation is similar to musicalmelody's below (see http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ng-for-Toddler), with one major exception.

I am 13 weeks pregnant with my second baby: my first is now almost 2 and definitely still quite "attached" to the ta-tas, but she has developed a lazy (but very aggressive) latch which I don't know how to correct and which makes nursing absolute agony for me. I cringe every time she comes near me.

I'm trying several behavioral strategies to make her less dependent on the milk, including nightweaning and holding/cuddling/rocking instead of nursing - she has quite the temper and both of those set her off something fierce (living hell for both my husband and myself when it's bedtime and I'm hurting too much from her abuse to be able to nurse her with any comfort). I'm also trying to reduce her latching during the day by redirecting with water or snacks or activities. I just feel that eliminating the liquid reward of breastfeeding would help speed that process along, because I don't know how much longer I can handle the pain: at this point, it hurts even hours later after nursing.

I would also like to have her weaned well before the birth of her sibling, so that she doesn't associate the two events.

I am hoping for some information on ways to do this quickly, in a way which is safe for my 13-week unborn.

Default Re: Rapid weaning for toddler while pregnant?

I don't have advice on weaning I am working on that myself (I am about 7 weeks pregnant.)

But I noticed my 17 mo old started to latch lazily also, started getting down just to the nipple! if I feel pinching or discomfort I break the latch just like when he's a newborn (stick finger in the corner of his mouth) and tell him to say "ah" just like a dentist would, and open my mouth big to show him and then put him back on the boob while his mouth is open big. She is probably sucking so aggressively because with an incorrect latch she is not getting as much milk. If you have her open her mouth wide she will get more bang for her buck and you will not be in pain. Do not let her nurse unless you are physically comfortable, if she won't open wider explain it hurts mommy and she has to open her mouth like "ah". Then once she starts latching properly you could work on cutting down sessions. Again I don't have much advice, at this point I just refuse and try to distract my 17 mo old times I don't want him to nurse. Which sometimes results in him throwing a small (or big) fit. But pretty soon he gets over it and we move on to snacks or another activity. I also always try to have a cup of water on hand to offer him if he's thirsty and usually ask him if he wants a snack.

Default Re: Rapid weaning for toddler while pregnant?

First, don't worry about the fetus- your body is going to protect it first. So weaning is not going to be a problem for it, provided you don't try some sort of milk-reducing drug that impacts the baby's development. That's good news, right?

On to "quick" weaning. It's generally recommended that moms wean slowly, because a gradual reduction in number of nursing sessions and milk supply is the way to avoid plugged ducts, mastitis, and engorgement. Pregnancy may assist you in speeding up the weaning process because the hormones of pregnancy tend to damp down on milk production. But you still want to proceed cautiously, and make sure you nurse or express milk if/when you feel too full or uncomfortable.

A lot of moms come here looking for a way to do mother-led weaning without tears and tantrums, and I hate to say it but there really isn't any such thing. Your toddler isn't ready to be weaned and that means she's going to resist your process. But you do not have to give in to her just because she's crying sad tears or trying to crawl under your shirt. As the PP said, pretty soon the tantrum will end and you'll move on to something else.

Some things that can help:
    - Call in assistance from friends, family, and babysitters. Toddlers tend to want to nurse when mom is around, and they forget about it when she isn't.
    - Stay out and about as much as possible. The more you are out in fun, interesting, entertaining places, the less she's going to want to nurse.
    - Keep sippy cups and snacks handy.
    - At night, have a bottle or sippy of water handy; night-waking toddlers are often genuinely thirsty.
    - Avoid your favorite nursing locations. Toddlers are often triggered to nurse by seeing mom sit down in "the nursing chair".