Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vent about annoying nursing habits

Default Vent about annoying nursing habits

My son is the most annoying nursling! I love him but not his nursing behavior. His sister (3.5yrs) even comments on her superior nursing manners. He is 5 months and has been a biter since 2 months if not before. He sometimes clamps down, twists his head and looks up at me with a devilish grin. Lately his favorite is to pinch my breast with both hands. When I hold his hands, give him something to hold or whatever, he clamps, turns his head down and drags my nipple out of his mouth then bobs back on again all while squirming his hands back toward pinching again. I have tried all the tricks (thanks kellymom, this forum and my grad degree in applied behavior analysis) and he just still prefers this behavior. No amount of attention, ignoring, distraction, yelling out, blocking etc is enough to compete with his love for causing me pain.
    Oh, what a little brat!
    I'm posting this here with the hope that this group of people will see the humor, sympathize with the struggle and get that this in no way makes me want to stop breastfeeding (except maybe brief moments at the end of a long day where I fantasize about quiet moments alone on the beach with a beverage).

Default Re: Vent about annoying nursing habits

Ouch!

It sounds like you have a particularly persistent pincher. I wonder if you could make a... Well, the only term I can think of is a "boob cozy". Wrap the breast that baby is nursing on in some foam material- that way he can't get to your skin but (hopefully) is satisfied by pinching the foam because it has that same squishable texture?

"Boob cozy" love it!

Hi m11612
    My boy is 5 months and is also doing weird things. I registered in the forum looking for answers to this. I may go to a bf cafe this week to understand more.
    My boy gets distracted easily and when he looks around he takes the nipple with him. Also, nowadays, most of the time does not latch properly. Started to purse his lips. Even when he latches well he then pushes my breast away with both hands and has just the tip of the nipple. I tried the 'nose to nipple' to make him open the mouth wider and he still manipulates the breast to the same effect.
    At night he doesn't do this. I nurse him in bed lying down and he is too tired.
    He is teething, I wonder if he is too disturbed by that...

As to 'boob cozy'... I love it too, I am waiting to see the knitting pattern

My son is a pain in the neck, too, and has been since birth. My daughter would bite occasionally, and there are times he's bitten me 10-12 times a day. I set him down and he immediately starts crying and crawling toward me to nurse again. The worst thing is getting constantly punched in the face, especially if he's nursing when getting overtired (but refusing to nap or sleep). I unfortunately can't make a face cozy!

So no solutions for you, but just wanted to say I think baby boys might be more difficult for those of us who had girls first. My daughter was no picnic, but nothing like my son. But he falls asleep more easily and takes longer naps, so it balances out.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Nope. Girls can be tough too. My daughter and I have always had a tough nursing relationship. She doesn't have a deep latch anymore at 7 months, likes to just slurp on the end of my nipple and pull back while kneading my breasts. If letdown doesn't happen quickly she unlatches a gazillion times, relatches, unlatches, and so forth until she gets a decent flow. Actually most times that we breastfeed she 'pops' on and off a ton which HURTS. Which lasts a few minutes, at which point she gets upset again. Sometimes I question my supply because of it. Also almost never nurses to sleep. In fact will get agitated when she is nursing and tired and start crying. Ugh. Some days it takes a lot of patience to not give up. I just tell myself that it's worth it for her health and our bonding.

http://www.scarymommy.com/articles/5...g&u=e8qxkzFHWm

My youngest is typically sweeter by nature than his older brother but he's much harder to discipline on the breast than my preschooler ever was. Biting was bad for months but now he's into punching my face.

Yup, I agree, girls can be hard, too! My baby girl has always had a shallow latch, taking only nipple, so her popping on and off really hurts after a bit! She's been a pretty distractible nurser, has been biting off and on since her first tooth at 5 months, and, oh, the pinching! At first she would just pinch me anywhere - breast, arm, chest, face, but more recently she chooses to pinch my areola (since she doesn't get much of it in her mouth like she's supposed to!). And if I try to redirect those hands, especially if she's sleepy, she unlatches and wails like I'm denying her the boob. Lately, though, she's really amped up the wild behavior! I call her my nursing gymnast lol we spend a good part of nursing sessions with her foot on my chest just under my chin, and on occasion, she will switch position (multiple times) while still latched. Like the other day, we went from cradle to laid back to side lying in under a minute, maintaining latch and sucking all the while. She's just talented that way.

Good to know I'm not alone.

Adding to this thread, my daughter has decided that she likes to get on all fours (think table top in yoga) and nurse from above in bed. We used to do side-lying so peacefully but now she's multi-tasking. Ah the joys of increased mobility...