Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplementing while on medication

Default Supplementing while on medication

So I've had coccydynia from labor and muscle spasms. I couldn't stand upright this morning. I had to take medication and therefore I'm going to have to pump and dump. This will kill my whole frozen supply. It's sad and frustrating, but I need to get better so I can continue to work and care for my little girl. I'm going to have to supplement with formula for the first time and am worried about how she will do. I'll be able to pump and nurse late tonight once the meds have passed if I get better today. If not, I will have to continue to pump and dump when taking medication. It's frustrating. I was hoping to hold out longer before starting to wean her to formula, but maybe I should start gradually by supplementing thru this period. She is 3.5 months old and I really wanted to make it to at least 6 months. It's been such a challenge because no matter what I tried I can not pump enough milk to cover her whole day and have been barely making it with what I pump extra on the weekends.

I have 4 bottles worth of freezer milk left, which is what she will take at daycare tomorrow, but I will also need another bottle for when she comes home today before I can nurse again and the meds are out of my system.

I have similac breastfeeding supplementing formula and regular formula on hand. I think I will stick to using the supplementing formula as I try to get thru this period and hope my back heals.

I'm worried that it will be a shock to her system. Do you think I should mix the formula with breast milk to make my frozen supply last longer and maybe it'll be easier on her stomach?
    Gosh this sucks! I'm just going to pray I get better fast.

Default Re: Supplementing while on medication

Are you 100% sure you have to pump and dump? What medication are you taking and who told you that it wasn't breast feeding compatible? Many doctors err on the side of caution (because they honestly don't know and apparently can't be arsed to look it up for you) and tell you that you can't take the medication and still breast feed. They don't realize it's not so simple and there are massive implications that you're now having to go through.

You can contact infantrisk.com and they might be able to tell you more about your medication. Theres also a book by Dr. Hale I think that is for medical providers but I can't recall the name right now.

In regards to your question about mixing formula and breast milk, usually it's recommended not to. Formula and breast milk have different "shelf lives". Formula must be tossed after the feeding it was made for, or after 2 hours. Breast milk can be at room temp for many more hours and can be used for multiple feedings if she doesn't finish the bottle at one feeding. If baby doesn't finish the formula/milk combo, you'll have to toss the precious milk down the drain and if it turns out you will have to pump and dump for another day or two, that will be very sad. If you have to dump, I'd personally give her all but 1 bottle of breast milk then give the rest of her feedings as formula. That one bottle of your milk can be an emergency bottle if she absolutely will not take the formula and she has to eat something.

I assume you and your care providers are following paced bottle feeding techniques to help preserve your nursing relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*midnightsangel View Post
    Are you 100% sure you have to pump and dump? What medication are you taking and who told you that it wasn't breast feeding compatible? Many doctors err on the side of caution (because they honestly don't know and apparently can't be arsed to look it up for you) and tell you that you can't take the medication and still breast feed. They don't realize it's not so simple and there are massive implications that you're now having to go through.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm sure I have to dump my milk. I had a large dose injection of toradol and oral soma. The soma has sedation properties and the dose of toradol will enter breast milk. I spoke extensively with the pharmacist. The meds should leave my system in 8-10 hours. My only issue is if I am unable to walk and stand up right I will have to continue the meds.

You can contact infantrisk.com and they might be able to tell you more about your medication. Theres also a book by Dr. Hale I think that is for medical providers but I can't recall the name right now.

I've seen the book you mentioned and have a wonderful app called LactMed. It's wonderful and very helpful.

In regards to your question about mixing formula and breast milk, usually it's recommended not to. Formula and breast milk have different "shelf lives". Formula must be tossed after the feeding it was made for, or after 2 hours. Breast milk can be at room temp for many more hours and can be used for multiple feedings if she doesn't finish the bottle at one feeding. If baby doesn't finish the formula/milk combo, you'll have to toss the precious milk down the drain and if it turns out you will have to pump and dump for another day or two, that will be very sad. If you have to dump, I'd personally give her all but 1 bottle of breast milk then give the rest of her feedings as formula. That one bottle of your milk can be an emergency bottle if she absolutely will not take the formula and she has to eat something.

Great recommendation on the formula and breast milk. I hadn't thought of that yet. I'll probably do her early evening bottle with formula and then her bedtime bottle breast milk. I'll hopefully be able to nurse during the night. I'm laying on the heating pad all day.

I assume you and your care providers are following paced bottle feeding techniques to help preserve your nursing relationship?
    Our daycare workers are great with my LO and do paced feeding. She's there for around 8 hours and takes 3-4 3 ounce bottles depending on her nap schedule. She's been taking bottles there since she was 6 weeks and does well going back and forth between the two. We've been lucky.

Whoops my post above was all sorts of messed up. Sorry. My reply is within the reply.