Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4mth who pulls away when nursing

Default 4mth who pulls away when nursing

My 4 and half month old had an excellent latch from the start. He was a home birth and was on the breast shortly after birth.

Recently he has been latching on then, while sucking pulls away from my body, still sucking. I'm starting to get a little sore. I've tried holding him in close to me, but he pushes his head back against my hand. No matter how many times I take him off the breast and try to restart he does the same thing. He seems to have his own idea of how to nurse. I've also tried different holds (i.e. Football) to ease some of the pain but he gets frustrated.

He is teething as well.

I have a 10 year old that I nursed for 20 months but that was so long ago I can't remember if he did this or not.

Any Ideas?

Default Re: 4mth who pulls away when nursing

Ds did this at 3 mo, 5 mo, 9 mo...it's pretty normal, especally when they're teething. He is also entering a very distractable stage. Have you tried nursing him in a quiet dark room away from distractions?

I have tried doing it in a quiet room, he even does it during the night when he is half asleep and nursing (side-lying in our bed where he has always slept with us). I have tried putting a receiving blanket over my shoulder when he nurses as well so he won't be distracted. Nothing I do works.

My daughter did this, and I remember that it did hurt! Unfortunately (for you) I think she just grew out of it, or, after continuous gentle discouragement, she gave it up over time.

My dd is 5 mos. and doing this too! I'm sorry, I have no answers, but I can empathize about the soreness!

my dd does this when she had a runny nose or a cold! maybe thats whats wrong.

Mine started to do just that at 4 mo but still does it now at almost 9 months but now is refusing to nurse (another post). I know it can be very annoying and painful. My son will pull back so hard that he keeps unlatching himself and then its back to tug a war again. My breasts were pretty sore at first but toughened up. I hope your situation improves.
    Last edited by glennysmom; March 3rd, 2006 at 09:09 AM.

Smile Re: 4mth who pulls away when nursing

Thanks to everyone for all your advice and sympathy. He does have a wee bit of a cold right now, but he has been doing this for about a month. I'll just grin and bare it I guess...lol

Perhaps the pulling back is his way of rubbing his sore gums to relieve teething pain? Have you tried treating his teething discomfort in different ways to see if anything changes the nursing behavior?

My son started a lot of preteething behavior around that age, including clamping on my nipple. I found that if I gave him tylenol or Hyland's teething tablets, it often got us both some relief!

--Rebecca