Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting started pumping

Default Getting started pumping

Hi!

I was going to introduce my 4 week old son to a bottle. But I am confused about when to pump.

Please let me know when you do.

Thanks!
    Monique

Default Re: Getting started pumping

Hi Monique,

Congratulations on your new son!

If you are pumping just to have some EBM on hand for an occasional bottle while you are briefly away from the baby -- many moms find the best time is in the morning, when their supply is at the highest point of the day -- and midway between two feedings. I know it can be hard to predict just when the baby will want to nurse, but give it a try.

Don't panic if your first pumping session doesn't yield much milk; let-down with the pump is sort of a learned response for most of us.

If you are trying to build a bit of a freezer stash, you can pump at about the same time every day, and your body will learn to produce some extra milk for that "feeding."

--Rebecca

Smile Re: Getting started pumping

Monique,

When I was home with dd, I pumped once in the morning since dd usually slept in and didn't like to nurse at that time. Your milk supply is usually highest in the morning so I did it as much to relieve my own engorgement as to build up a supply. However, some moms pump on one breast while feeding baby on the other or pump after baby is done feeding. There is no right or wrong and you have to do what works for you.

Now that I am back to work full-time, I pump 3 times a day - 9am, noon, & 3pm. I rarely pump at home or on the weekends unless I feel too full and dd is sleeping.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get more advice that will be helpful.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)