Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not refusing bottle, more like not understanding how to suck

Default Re: Not refusing bottle, more like not understanding how to

My LC said before 5 months it's not recommended (the video has a 6 month old)...but if it's not dangerous,
    huh. maybe we are not talking about the same thing, as brand newborns can be cup fed. I have never heard that it is not recommended before 5 months. But maybe there is research on this I am unaware of. My understanding is that cup feeding is typically seen as helpful to the breastfeeding relationship because the nature of it means both baby and caregiver take the feeding slowly by necessity. But I am not aware of any research that compares it to paced feeding, which is designed to do the same thing but with bottles. But certainly it would seem that cup feeding would be better at encouraging slow and "more like breastfeeding" pace of feeding than would gravity bottle feeding (as bottles are traditionally given) for a baby who nurses fine but needs to be fed somehow when mom is at work.

I do know that not everyone agrees cup feeding is better than bottle feeding for a very young baby who cannot nurse and is needing to learn to suckle, but whether that is a consideration depends on why the baby is being supplemented. I do not see how that concern would apply for a baby who is nursing just fine but is refusing/not eating from a bottle while mom is at work.

In the case of a baby who is being fed due to being separated from mom, but nurses fine when with mom, what is most harmful to the breastfeeding relationship is baby being over fed or fed too quickly while mom is away. This is what happens when a baby is gravity fed, or the bottle is used by the caregiver as the only/primary means of comforting baby, or caregiver is under the impression meals should be large and tries to get baby to take more than baby wants (this can even happen inadvertently when baby is gravity fed.) Also possibly problematic is baby being fed too close to when mom comes home, or baby not being allowed/encouraged to nurse lots when mom IS home, weekends and nights or whatever. So cup feeding (done correctly, with the caregiver controlling the cup and working off babies cues) would help prevent the overfeeding part of this, just as paced bottle feeding does.

I asked if she had some research for her (anti-)recommendation but she didn't respond...

So far she's loving the cup and we are careful to use it paced and baby-led. We still have hopes she'll also make progress on the bottle but I'm with you and feel this could be a great alternative. Many thanks.

I am very glad you are feeling more confident that baby will not go hungry while you are at work!