Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby doesn't take bottle but will take cereal

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Baby doesn't take bottle but will take cereal

My DD never would take a bottle... she did like the sippy cups that don't have the regulating thing in them, though... She essentially went straight from breast to sippy cup. And she's not the only child I've met who did this.

So, if she's willing to take the sippy cup, go with it!

As for the solids thing... the American Academy of Pediatrics says exclusive breastmilk or formula for 6 months... but many pediatricians don't follows those guidelines and encourage moms to start giving solids at 6 months. There are specific things you want to be looking for in your baby before you give solids. Here's a great online article from LLL about starting solids:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

Jacqui

i know exactly what you are going through! my dd was the same way. It took several tries before she took the bottle at daycare, and then she only would drink a few ounces at a time w/ much fuss. but persistence paid off and now she takes her bottles quite greedily!

it is good your baby is willing/able to eat cereal. my little girl wasn't ready until 6 months. my ped told me it was ok to start solids as early as 4 months. you could always try a small serving of rice cereal with lots of ebm twice a day to supplement the sippy. it is a good source of iron.

all this will come to pass. Just follow your instincts and you will be doing the right thing Good luck.

Most babies aren't ready for solids until 6 mo or even later. It is generally not a good idea to give any solids including cereal or juice before at least 6 mo of age. And just because some babies are "ready" before 6 mo, it still doesn't mean they need it, kwim? Babies don't really need solids before they are colser to 12 mo.

As to cereal being a good source of iron, this is not really true. While there is a lot of iron in comercial infant cereals, it is not nearly as easily absorbed as the iron in breastmilk ... or even the iron in meat. this is why LLL recomends offering your baby meat as one of thier first foods. Meat is also natural, while baby cereal is highly processed and doviod of most food value. Turkey is a good meat to start with, since it is very non-alergenic.

We went through this too. You can also try those medicine syringe things (I can't remember exactly what they are called but they work well too. Congrats on the sippy! Good advice on the cereal. Just an extra note on the cereal- the iron fortification in the cereal makes your iron in your breastmilk less absorbable so if you can skip cereal altogether when you choose to put your daughter on solids. There are some pretty great posts on signs that your child is ready for solids when the time comes! I found them very helpful.

is three months too early to try a sippy cup? my ds won't take a bottle, either, depsite constant and near heroic efforts by dh.

Quote Originally Posted by wench
    is three months too early to try a sippy cup?
    Not too early to try, but I wouldn't push it. Have you tried giving ebm with a small cup, eyedropper, or spoon?

So glad you found a solution! I just caught this thread and saw you found a way around the bottles that is still convenient for the dcp. I'm sure it eases some of the stress on you!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Yeah, kinda. She took 4 oz with the sippy today. But then nursed like mad when she came home--but then got all mad at the disruption in her little routine...at bedtime she was inconsolable--didn't want to nurse and was crying so hard...I couldn't console her at all. She finally fell asleep after sheer exhaustion. I'm full expecting her to wake up and nurse hopefully soon. I hated it when she went on her nursing strike a few weeks ago. ugh...