Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby doesn't take bottle but will take cereal

Question Baby doesn't take bottle but will take cereal

My daycare provider today said that Emily still won't take a bottle but she gave her a ton of cereal today and she was so happy to eat it. She mixed a serving of cereal with about 3 ounces of breastmilk and she ate almost the whole thing!

So my question is--is it okay for a baby to just have cereal during the day and then reverse cycle at night? I figure at least she's getting some breastmilk with the cereal. She hasn't really had that much cereal with me (no more than a tablespoon or so the past few days), but I try it after I nurse her. If she wont' take a bottle at daycare but will eat cereal, shoudl I just let her do that? I'm a little concerned because she hasn't eaten that much cereal with me yet and she LOVES it at daycare (according to the dcp). I just don't want it to shock her little system. but she said it was very much diluted with the BM. I'm just happy she ate SOMETHING-better than nothing?

thanks!

Default Re: Baby doesn't take bottle but will take cereal

How old is she?

I don't think a ton of ceral is healthy for any baby. Depending on her age, you could ask the dcp to offer a more varried solids menu that includes fruit/veggies etc.

She'll be 4 months next week. we haven't tried any other fruits/veggies yet, just cereal. she had it only once today but it was a good sized bowl (one nonrmal serving, but she didn't eat it all, but almost all). I was just curious to see if it's okay for her to have cereal during the day (like maybe twice tops) with some EBM when she won't take any EBM in a bottle. we still need her to experiment more with the sippy cup...

How many hours is she at daycare?

To be honest, I don't think she should be eating cereal at this age. It is generally advisable to wait until the baby is at least 6 mo to introduce any solids inculding cereal.

I also don't think cereal is a great idea at that age. I actually didn't feed it at all to my daughter because it isn't really good for babies.

I would experiment with other ways of getting her to take breastmilk before I used the cereal as a last resort.

Unhappy Re: Baby doesn't take bottle but will take cereal

I'm so confused about this...i read so much conflicting info about it being okay for 4 to 6 mos and others saying it's not. I just want her to eat. It's so frustrating knowing that she's not eating while I'm working. I just want her to have something. Nothing is working. except cereal.

I just want to have my baby eat--things that I read say 4 to 6 months, but others are saying 6 months. I know there are differing opinions, but I also know so many people who have started solids at 3 months and their babies are fine--including my cousin who nursed until 3.5 years old...we started her on solids at 3 months also because she wouldn't use a bottle and was miserable.

I just want to give up...it's so frustrating I can't even think right now!!!!! I just want to stop reading the internet...

Please do not be frustrated, you are a great mom who is doing all that she can for her baby. If she will take the cereal diluted what about feeding with a little cup or a syringe? We could really get creative here LOL, also is there anyway that you can nurse her at lunch, or can the dc provider bring her to you? Hang in there

I called the advice nurse at Kaiser and she said no solids because it will constipate her--she did have a poopy diaper tonight but it was way different than normal--much thicker. So i guess no more cereal. I'm going to ask if the dcp is willing to try the sippy and/or spoon feed her the breastmilk. I can't think of anything else. I dont want her to be hungry and have to reverse cycle, but I guess I'll do what I have to...

ITA with trying just plain ebm with a spoon! Tell us how that goes.

She took the sippy cup! It was without the valve so the dcp had to help her, but she took like 2 oz with that! She was pretty hungry when I picked her up, but she was happy! I'm hoping this will work! The dcp said she's totally willing to work on it with her--she said that's her job!