Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extreme Pain and breaking down!

Unhappy Extreme Pain and breaking down!

My daughter is almost eight weeks old and I've been experiencing extreme nipple pain since day one. My nipples were scabbed I think the first or second night. The scabs fell off weeks ago but now they're raw and cracked and just won't heal. I've seen two lactation consultants and spent $500 and they both said her latch looked good, and that she has a really strong suck, but she chews toward the end of the feeding so they said to take her off. Actually, I think it's more like she sucks during the let down and chews in between. When I do take her off before she's ready she goes INSANE! And it's so so hard to calm her. She wants to chew on me until she falls asleep. I've been bottle feeding during the day and breastfeeding at night but I fear her chewing is getting worse so today I tried to breastfeed all day and the pain just kept getting worse and worse until I ended up in tears. I feel like it will never get better. Should I try and bottle feed for several days and see if my nipples can heal up completely and then go back to breastfeeding? How do I stop her from chewing withOut constantly taking her off? This is so depressing. Will my nipples ever heal? And I've used every nipple cream I could find.

Default Re: Extreme Pain and breaking down!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

I'm sorry to say that I'm going to answer your questions with a lot more questions.

First, can you tell us a little more about what the lactation consultants did at the consults? Did they check the baby for tongue and lip ties? Did they do pre- and post-feeding weigh-ins to determine milk intake? What explanation did they give you for the scrabbling and pain?

Second, can you describe the cracks? Are we talking about large single cracks at the tip of the nipple that gape wider after the baby nurses, or multiple small slit-like cracks?

Third, when the baby unlatches, what does your nipple look like? Is it symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or asymmetrical/creased/wedged/ridged/shaped like a new lipstick?

Fourth, what positions are you using when you nurse? Are you sitting upright, or are you reclining?

Fifth, how has baby's weight gain been?